Director of Youth Ministries at Knox Presbyterian Church
About the job
Knox Presbyterian Church is seeking an individual to develop and lead Knox Presbyterian Church’s ministry to those in grades 6-12. This historic congregation has experienced a wonderful revitalization over the past two decades. A growing number of families with children and youth from diverse backgrounds have joined our community. And we have sought to foster faith development and congregation connections through intergenerational worship, outdoor events, summer camping ministries, all-church retreats, weekly evening programs, and small group opportunities. We have also gotten more deeply involved in social justice efforts, local service, and global mission. Knox has been blessed with strong staff leadership for our ministries to children, youth, and adults in the past. We are now looking for new dynamic staff to further build and develop our programs.
1) Implement and oversee the activities and programs for youth in 6th through 12th grade.
2) Recruit, train, and support adult leaders and volunteer teachers to assist with and lead the Sunday night youth programs, Sunday school classes, and special events.
3) Organize and direct events for the youth throughout the year including but not limited to summer camp, retreats, Youth Sunday, and mission/service projects. Lead and/or organize the session-approved serving of communion for such events as appropriate.
4) Foster distinct identities for the middle school (6th-8th grade) and high school (9th-12th) youth groups.
5) Provide guidance and support to youth in their spiritual, emotional, and mental growth.
6) Facilitate communication with youth and parents, and communicate effectively with the Knox congregation regarding youth activities.
7) Coordinate and collaborate with the senior pastor on leading the confirmation program for 9th-12th grade youth.
8) Coordinate and collaborate with the senior pastor and committees on initiating and supporting a youth summer mission trip.
9) Attend the weekly staff meeting and monthly education and spiritual formation committee meetings.
10) Provide necessary administrative preparation and support related to youth ministry programs.
11) Supervise interns for youth ministry if and as appropriate.
12) Be a faithful and friendly colleague to other Knox staff.
13) Work with the director of Christian formation in planning and leading all-ages seasonal educational events.
14) Engage in spiritual practices and attend to self-care in order to have the energy, imagination, and love to serve the church faithfully.
15) Depending on the background, skills, and interests of the candidate, there would be opportunities for worship leadership.
16) Other responsibilities as determined by the senior pastor and/or session. Able to occasionally perform the duties of the director of christian formation if and as needed.
1) Faith in Jesus Christ and a desire to communicate the Christian faith to youth.
2) The ability to demonstrate leadership and communicate effectively in a church context.
3) Energy, imagination, and creativity.
4) Knowledge of age group characteristics and the ability to translate this into effective programs of Christian education and formation.
5) Skills in recruiting, equipping, and organizing.
6) The ability to relate personally to youth and their families.
7) The ability to work cooperatively with church staff, committee members, and adult volunteers.
In order to apply for the position, please email both a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send them by mail to:
Knox Presbyterian Church
225 South Hill Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91106