Director of Children’s Ministries at Knox Presbyterian Church
About the job
Knox Presbyterian Church is seeking an individual to plan, develop, and coordinate our ministries for children (infancy through the 5th grade). This historic congregation has experienced a wonderful revitalization over the past two decades. A growing number of families with children and youth from diverse backgrounds have joined our community. And we have sought to foster faith development and congregation connections through intergenerational worship, outdoor events, summer camping ministries, all-church retreats, weekly evening programs, and small group opportunities. We have also gotten more deeply involved in social justice efforts, local service, and global mission. Knox has been blessed with strong staff leadership for our ministries to children, youth, and adults in the past. We are now looking for new dynamic staff to further build and develop our programs.
1) Maintain and develop educational curricula for children.
2) Recruit, train, supervise and mentor children’s ministry teachers and program volunteers.
3) Monitor classroom activities, equipment, and facilities, and alert the custodian to repair and maintenance needs. Support the teachers and child care workers, and provide necessary materials, curricula and equipment.
4) Manage church school to ensure a safe, supportive, and fun learning environment for the children and teachers. Address any classroom management issues that may arise.
5) Develop and facilitate summer programming for children and families.
6) Partner with the senior pastor, director of Christian formation, and other staff on seasonal events involving Knox children.
7) Coordinate child care staffing for congregational events and programs.
8) Present children’s sermons on a rotating basis, and develop creative elements for worship services throughout the year to foster intergenerational worship.
9) Develop new programs, provide staff oversight, and make program proposals as needs arise.
10) Attend the weekly staff meeting and monthly education and spiritual formation committee meetings.
11) Other responsibilities as determined by the head of staff and/or session. Able to occasionally perform the duties of the director of christian formation if and as needed.
1) Faith in Jesus Christ and a desire to teach the Christian faith to children.
2) The ability to demonstrate leadership and communicate effectively in a church context.
3) Energy, imagination, and creativity.
4) Knowledge of age group characteristics and the ability to translate this into effective programs.
5) Skills in recruiting, equipping, and organizing.
6) The ability to lead, support, and motivate volunteer leaders.
7) The ability to relate personally to children and their families.
8) The ability to work cooperatively with church staff, committee members, and adult volunteers.
In order to apply for the position, please email both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or send them by mail to:
Knox Presbyterian Church
225 South Hill Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91106