Director of Faith Formation at Knox Presbyterian Church
About the job
Director of Christian Formation
Knox Presbyterian Church is seeking an individual to provide leadership and oversight for Knox’s Christian formation ministries for children, youth, and adults. This historic congregation has experienced a wonderful revitalization over the past two decades. A growing number of families with children and youth from diverse backgrounds have joined our community. And we have sought to foster faith development and congregation connections through intergenerational worship, outdoor events, summer camping ministries, all-church retreats, weekly evening programs, and small group opportunities. We have also gotten more deeply involved in social justice efforts, local service, and global mission. Knox has been blessed with strong staff leadership for our ministries to children, youth, and adults in the past. We are now looking for new dynamic staff to further build and develop our programs.
1) Oversee the development of educational curricula and programs for infancy through late adulthood.
2) Be responsible for the development and execution of either children’s ministries or youth ministries, and serve as the hands-on staff leadership for that area of ministry. Supervise a half-time director who would be responsible for and serve as the hands-on staff leadership for the other age range – either children (infancy through 5th grade) or youth (6th through 12th grade).
3) Recruit, train, supervise and mentor church school teachers and program volunteers, with the support of the christian education and spiritual formation committee.
4) Facilitate communication with children, youth, and parents, and communicate effectively with the Knox congregation regarding programs.
5) Monitor church school classroom and youth room activities, equipment, and facilities, and alert the custodian and office manager to any repair or maintenance needs. Support the teachers and child care workers, and provide necessary materials, curricula and equipment.
6) Oversee a church school learning environment that is safe, supportive, and fun. Ensure any classroom management issues are effectively addressed.
7) Plan and facilitate church-wide events and retreats in collaboration with the staff and the congregational life committee.
8) Supervise the childcare workers, the education assistant, and any applicable interns.
9) Develop and coordinate Knox’s small group opportunities for adults.
10) Partner with the christian education and spiritual formation committee in developing and overseeing educational and spiritual formation classes.
11) Present children’s sermons on a rotating basis with other staff.
12) Facilitate the participation in worship of children and youth, whether through drama, music, scripture reading, video, or other worship engagement opportunities.
13) Attend the weekly staff meeting and monthly education and spiritual formation committee meetings.
14) Engage in spiritual practices and attend to self-care in order to have the energy, imagination, and love to serve the church faithfully.
15) Depending on the background, skills, and interests of the candidate, there would be opportunities for worship leadership.
16) Other responsibilities as determined by the head of staff and/or session.
1) Faith in Jesus Christ and a desire to teach the Christian faith to others.
2) The ability to demonstrate leadership and communicate effectively in a church context.
3) Knowledge of age group characteristics and the ability to translate it into effective programs of Christian education and formation.
4) Skills in recruiting, equipping, and organizing.
5) The ability to lead, inspire and motivate volunteer leaders.
6) The ability to relate personally to children, youth, and their families.
7) The ability to work cooperatively with church staff, committee members, and adult volunteers.
In order to apply for the position, please email both a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or send them by mail to:
Knox Presbyterian Church
225 South Hill Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91106