About the job
The Lead Pastor shall be the leader of the Kent Covenant Church to whom the congregation, Leadership Team, ministry teams and staff members look for leadership, guidance, and vision. S/he shall embody or catalyze the following roles: preacher and teacher, outreach champion, spiritual leader, staff supervisor, lead vision-caster, congregational shepherd, connections energizer and lead organizational officer.
The Lead Pastor shall seek to undertake his/her calling and duties in the power of the Holy Spirit, undergirded with prayer, guided by the Scriptures, and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God and the benefit of neighbor.
Preacher and Teacher
· Is the primary pulpit voice, faithfully and compellingly proclaiming the Word of God as revealed in both the Old and New Testaments
· Lead KentCov in its community witness through ministries of evangelism, compassion and justice
· Reach out to the lost in the Kent community and lead them to a relationship with Jesus Christ
· Nurture KentCov’s continuing global mission
· Lead with authenticity in accord with the Covenant Affirmations, the Constitution and Bylaws of KentCov, federal, state, and local laws, and commonly recognized best practices among churches
· Oversee the presentation of the sacraments—baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Teach the congregation about the meaning and importance of the sacraments in sustaining the life of faith and hope
· Lead KentCov in personal and corporate ministries of prayer for the Church, its people, and the Church’s mission and impact
· Live life in harmony with the Word of God, striving in word and deed to be a worthy example in Christian living
· Train and equip church members for effectiveness in their areas of ministry and service
· Supervise the pastoral, ministry, and administrative staffs in carrying out their job descriptions within the guidance, direction, and purposes established by the Lead Pastor and the Leadership Team
· Communicate clearly, appropriately, effectively and timely with all staff
· Responsible for team building, unity, and the cooperation of the pastoral and ministry staff, and Leadership Team.
· Encourage and support staff members so that they can fulfill their assigned duties. Assist staff members in resolving adverse issues that arise.
· Delegate to those gifted, equipped and ready to carry increased responsibilities
· Provide to the Leadership Team evaluation/progress reports regarding the performance of the members of the pastoral, ministry, and administrative staff
· Make annual assessments, in participation with the Leadership Team, regarding the compensation of the staff and other employment related issues
· Take the initiative in casting and communicating vision for the church’s mission and priorities, and involve other church leaders in visioning processes
· Periodically initiate the process for developing or renewing the KentCov’s strategic plan
· Review the staffing structure of the Church to ensure maximum effectiveness and faithfulness in fulfilling the mission and strategic plan
· Develop personal relationships with persons in the congregation
· Provide spiritual guidance and pastoral care to Church members and attendees in times of need, and oversee the pastoral care ministries of the church
· As an ex-officio member, guide the ministry teams, committees, and Leadership Team in carrying out their responsibilities.
· Be vigilant, honestly communicating to the Leadership Team regarding issues that represent a concern or threat to the continued effectiveness and/or vitality of the church.
· Oversee and influence first impressions
· Ensure that small group ministry leaders are properly trained and encourage participation of church members in small groups outside of Sunday worship.
· Develop, execute and oversee KentCov’s membership strategy
· Facilitate connections on volunteer teams; leadership and ministry teams
· Oversee communications and marketing
· Oversee weekly worship services and other special worship
· Oversee the various ministries of the church so they work in harmony with each other and contribute to the vision and mission of the church.
· Continually assess staffing, ministry teams, physical assets, etc., for mission effectiveness
Note: Lead Pastor may delegate any of the above responsibilities to other pastoral staff members and/or church leaders as the Lead Pastor sees fit, with the mutual understanding of Staff and the agreement of the Leadership Team.