Director of Next Gen Ministries at John Knox Presbyterian Church
Normandy Park, WA 98166
About the job
Position Title: Director of Next Gen Ministries
Time Requirement: Full time - Exempt
The Director of Next Gen Ministries reports to the Head of Staff, is accountable to the JK Kids and Students ministry team, and is ultimately accountable to the Session of the John Knox Presbyterian Church (JKPC).
The Director of Next Gen Ministries will be responsible for developing, coordinating and administering an effective and comprehensive ministry for children and youth with primary leadership of programs for youth between grades 6-12. The ministry is consistent with John Knox’s mission statement “Shaping generations to lead lives that reveal God’s grace.” This person will be part of the JK Kids and JK Students ministry team.
JK Kids (nursery through 5th grade) offers numerous events and programs throughout the year, from Sunday school and Vacation Bible Camp to parenting classes and casual gatherings. The JK Kids ministry team serves about 100 families in their walk with Christ. JK Students (grades 6 through 12) involves weekly gatherings and Sunday school classes for teens, international and domestic mission trips and confirmation classes.
This position provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes vacation, sick and holiday paid time off; medical, dental and life insurance coverage as well as a retirement savings plan with a 4% salary match.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and lead the development and administration of a comprehensive ministry and curriculum plan for children and youth.
- Plan, lead and teach small and large group Bible studies, group meetings, retreats, mission experiences, and outreach activities for youth in grades 6-12.
- Meet with youth and adults on and off site for the purpose of mentoring, discipleship and leadership development.
- Lead, facilitate and provide visioning form ministries for children and youth at JKPC and in the larger community.
- Facilitate and nurture active collaboration with John Knox Community Preschool leadership to design, implement, and review an ongoing plan for strategic relational engagement of preschool families.
- Oversee JK Kids and JK Students Coordinators and ministry coordinators serving nursery, children and youth.
- Recruit, screen, train, support, encourage and celebrate program volunteers.
- Coordinate with other JKPC ministry leaders and teams to promote and encourage continuity in reaching families with children and youth.
- Regularly participate in corporate worship at JKPC, actively contributing as a worship leader and cultivating leadership opportunities for children and youth.
- Attend and actively participate in JK Kids and JK Students ministry team meetings, church staff meetings, supervisory meetings and training sessions.
- Maintain behavior that is consistent with the conduct and behavior expectations outlined in the JKPC Employee Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Education: College degree or equivalent experience in youth and family ministry or a related field.
- Prior experience working with youth and families.
- Strong communicator (verbal and written) who consistently demonstrates a keen ability to work collaboratively and effectively cultivates healthy relationships while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
Essential Character and Values:
- A disciple of Jesus Christ in whom the fruit of the Spirit is evident.
- A Christian who approaches leadership from a place of vision, creativity, intentionality, authenticity, and above all, a commitment to Christ.
John Knox is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds.