About the job
San Diego State University, the oldest and largest institution of higher education in San Diego County, is a public research university serving 35,000 undergraduate students. It is part of the Cal State University system—the largest four-year university system in the U.S.
San Diego State offers 76 masters programs and 23 doctoral programs. There are approximately 1500 faculty members at San Diego State where there is a ratio of 28:1 students to faculty (double the national average). The campus is a named Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
Located in San Diego, CA, SDSU has a diverse student population that reflects the surrounding city, serving over 50% students of color. Beyond the campus, the city of San Diego has a population of almost 1.4 million and borders our sister city of Tijuana, Mexico, population 1.7 million. Historical and present realities highlight the shared concerns of San Diego and Tijuana imposed by the border. InterVarsity’s Urban Programs Team has nurtured our relationship with our sister university student movement in Mexico, called COMPA, through our Borderlands Program. We hope to continue partnership and mutual learning with COMPA as we learn from our neighbors to the south and explore and address complex issues related to U.S. immigration policies, economics, and social issues. A potential campus staff with Graduate and Faculty Ministries in San Diego would be uniquely situated to consider faithful presence in this context.
The Campus Staff Member will:
- Plant new InterVarsity ministries for graduate students and faculty at SDSU
- Network with and mentor graduate students
- Meet with faculty to help nurture a vision for being and creating world changers
- Provide spiritual support to Christian faculty as they serve in a demanding vocation
- Participate in local team of InterVarsity GFM campus staff across Southern California
- Partner with undergraduate InterVarsity ministries
- Consider unique contextual aspects for faithful witness in this border city
The ideal candidate has prior work experience in ministry or marketplace as well as an advanced degree. Candidates need to have people skills for networking, leadership, and evangelism. Cross-cultural skills are a must. All campus staff with InterVarsity are responsible for their own ministry partner development and will receive training and supervision in this area.
To apply, please submit an initial interest form and your CV/resume.