About the job
Reports To: Lead Pastor
Position Type: Program Staff. Full-time, year-round, salaried, and exempt.
One Sentence: Primary champion of our discipleship pathway and next generation attenders.
Indian River Presbyterian Church exists to build bridges of hope to new life in Christ by drilling deep with God in worship, raising up an intergenerational family of disciples, and extending out in mission to our community. The Assistant Pastor will lead by example as he or she equips our church to build bridges to/with the next generation and to live missionally in our 1 mile - 1 house radius.
- Cultivate and live out of a thriving relationship with Jesus, IRPC, and the wider community of Ft. Pierce.
- Pursue biblical integrity and emotional/spiritual health as first priorities of leadership. (c.f. The Emotionally Healthy Leader by Pete Scazerro)
- Actively build friendships that, by God’s grace, may turn into opportunities for discipleship and evangelism.
- Partner with Lead Pastor to implement and adjust a replicable discipleship pipeline that intentionally identifies, inspires, and equips people for living out our mission/vision.
- Coach current ministry leaders to align with and leverage IRPC’s discipleship pathway.
- Identify and train future group leaders in order to effectively launch new (re)connect groups.
- Equip, empower, and support current (re)connect groups leaders.
- Assist staff and elders in identifying opportunities for generously blessing the 1 mile radius around the church.
- Discover and celebrate “Stories of Hope” that bubble up as God is at work in our church.
Student Ministry Responsibilities:
- Develop effective systems for discipling students through a spiritual journey from disconnected to gospel-centered bridge builders.
- Collaborate with fellow staff/ministry leaders to create and celebrate pathways for “sticky faith” including opportunities for intergenerational connection within the church. (c.f. Fuller Youth Institute)
- Recruit, train, and coach a team of disciple-making leaders for our students.
- Regularly connect, communicate, and build relationships with students and parents.
- Resource parents and leaders to effectively disciple their students.
- Oversee implementation of all youth protection policies and procedures.
Flexible Area of Responsibility:
- Coordinate with the Lead Pastor to customize this job description by identifying an area of gifting / passion that might be a 3rd area of focus.
- Examples could include but are not limited to: Care Ministry, Communications, Office Administration, Outreach and Missions, etc.)
General Pastoral Responsibilities:
- Personally live out and relentlessly lead toward implementing the vision frame of IRPC.
- Perform pastoral duties in coordination with Lead Pastor (preaching, weddings, funeral, etc.).
- Meet regularly with the lead pastor for development, encouragement, feedback, and accountability.
- Maintain consistent lines of communication with Lead Pastor on ministry celebrations and challenges.
- Participate in all staff and Session meetings.
- ECO ordained or ordainable.
- Demonstrates a pastor-level proficiency in ECO’s Leadership Competencies.
- Actively affirms and implements ECO’s Constitution.
- Cultivates a teachable spirit, habits of personal growth, and a team player attitude.
- Genuinely enjoys loving and connecting with people across multiple generations and faith backgrounds.
- Engages current cultural trends/issues through a gospel-centered worldview.
- Effectively communicates (in verbal and written English) across dividing lines (cultural, generational, economic, political, etc.)