About the job
Lead Pastor Job Description
The lead pastor will model the purpose and mission of Hope Community Church: to be disciples of Jesus who make disciples of Jesus. The lead pastor will be an advocate and communicator for the vision of the church, developed through the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, for the glory of God. This person will be an experienced team leader, teacher, and vision developer who will share the responsibility for the spiritual welfare, growth, and life of the church in all areas, including discipleship and evangelism. As a lead pastor, this person will embody the essence of a shepherd and servant leader, equipping the congregation for service with the Leadership Council and staff.
ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Have a vital walk with Jesus Christ, evidenced by his faithfulness, passion, and grace.
- Be an ordained Seminary Graduate with a preferred minimum of 5 years of pastoral experience.
- Have a gift and a passion for teaching and preaching the eternal, inerrant, and unalterable Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments.
- Practice personal one?on?one evangelism and discipleship, and be committed to equip others to do the same.
- Be an authentic communicator, easy to understand, and down?to?earth.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to share with others in a larger group setting and one?on?one from his heart and life.
- Be a motivator who can share dreams, goals, and plans so that people want to be personally involved.
- Be humble enough to accept input from those he is leading.
- Be transparent in church matters while honoring confidentiality.
- Be actively loving and seeking to lead his family into a relationship with Christ.
Ministry of the Word The lead pastor will be the primary teacher and preacher for the church and will exposit God’s Word faithfully, according to sound doctrine. The lead pastor should be committed to teaching the holy Scriptures in a manner that is relevant, authentic, and personally applicable. 11 Hale Street | Newburyport, MA 01950 978.463.4673 www.hopenewburyport.com email@example.com Evangelism and Discipleship, The lead pastor, will demonstrate a lifestyle of personal evangelism and discipleship, and oversee its application in congregational life. The lead pastor will be able to communicate the good news of Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit in a manner relevant to the hearers and with a passion for them to embrace Him as their Savior and Lord. Leadership The lead pastor will provide spiritual leadership and direction for church life, nurturing practical teamwork and helping create healthy ministry systems. This person will nurture the spiritual health and unity of church staff, ministry leaders, and volunteers, assisting them in achieving their ministry objectives. Trainer Equipper, The lead pastor, will teach the truths of scripture that provide the congregation with the resources for living in obedience to God’s word.
This person will intentionally disciple people and leaders who will disciple others, helping them grow in their spiritual lives and developing their spiritual gifts for the Lord’s service. Prayer, The lead pastor will model a life of prayer that includes praying for the people and ministries of the church, discipling others in their prayer journey, and encouraging the congregation to gather for prayer together. Pastoral Care The pastor will exhibit a “shepherd’s heart,” showing by word, action, and presence compassion and understanding of people and their needs, and providing assistance when appropriate and feasible.