Home Team Coach Assistant at Home for Refugees USA
Los Angeles County or Orange County, CA
About the job
*We require our employees to be fully vaccinated with the COVID vaccine, because we are working with a vulnerable people group.
Home Team Coach Assistant
Pay: $14-18/hr, part-time, up to 10 hours
Location: Los Angeles, Orange County, or Inland Empire, CA based. Work from home office. Both in person and remote work.
Schedule: Mostly Monday-Friday during regular work hours; regular evening and weekend communication, meetings, and events
Home for Refugees (HFR) is a Christian community-based organization that seeks to “empower refugees to sustain new homes, find new hope, and fully experience life.” The Home Team Coach Assistant will coaching a Community Sponsorship team in helping a newly arrived refugee resettle in the United States. Home Teams are the core of HFR’s program. Home Teams are volunteer teams from faith and community groups partnering with refugees to help give a good start to during first year of resettlement. This position will be a coach-in-training for Home Teams. This position is to help to develop and cultivate a community mindset for everyone involved with HFR – staff, board, partnering organizations, and volunteers – to access and leverage community resources and involvement as we all partner together to resettle families. This Home Team Coach Assistant role is viewed as a catalyzer of volunteer effort rather than the position completing everything themselves. In addition to coach assisting, the role will help in project areas and with fundraising events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The main categories consist of the following, other duties may be assigned.
· Continually be recruiting faith and community groups to form Home Teams to be ready to come alongside future refugee families when they are referred.
· Coach the Home Team how to help with extended case management in partnership with the referring agencies as the Home Teams help give their families a good start to their first year
· Coach the Home Team as an intentional learning community over the course of the year through trainings and a program flow of year.
· Be actively communicating with the Home Team volunteers over Workplace and be available to check Workplace for any urgent messages from volunteers during times off (which can be recorded on timesheet if it turns into something)
· Supporting HFR Home Teams by making home visits to families or taking families to appointments as needed
· Keeping the Home Team folders with documents and the case notes up to date
· Thoughtfully and proactively leading the team to work through the Family Care Plan to completion throughout the year
· Not a set schedule, since the position is to be available to work with volunteers who often are available after hours and weekends. Staff meetings are every other Tuesday morning.
· Plan and support Home for Refugees’ regular fundraising events through planning, program participation, and special projects as hours allow – annual fall gala in October and smaller fundraising events from January – July.
· Create social media graphics and stories to support volunteer involvement and fundraising events and campaigns for HFR’s Community Development Coordinator.
· Always promote the mission as an ambassador of HFR, continually cultivating relationships, and making the most efficient use and care of all resources.
· Committed to the mission, vision and values of Home for Refugees and its beliefs as a Christian organization
· Passionate about making the world a better place, and improving the lives of refugees through resettlement teams
· AA or Bachelor’s degree
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to be detailed to keep folders and forms up to date
· Ability to prioritize, multi-task and organize in a fast paced and fluid environment
· Computer proficiency in main Microsoft Office 365 applications – such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
· Computer that is reliable and works efficiently with Microsoft Office 365 software suite
· Ability to use Workplace app as an online virtual team communication tool
· Works well on a hybrid staff team – both virtual and in person
· Skilled at social media
· Strong knowledge of issues surrounding immigrants and immigration policy; reasonable knowledge of immigrant populations; demonstrate cultural competency; and have a basic understanding of transformational development principles.
· AA or Bachelor’s degree in related field with previous case worker and nonprofit experience
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to coordinate, prioritize, and organize multiple projects simultaneously
Energetic, creative, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
· Professional manner, warm demeanor, collaborative work style, strong moral compass, and positive outlook
· Fluent in Spanish, Farsi, and/or Arabic a plus
Employees holding this position may have access to employee and client financial data, proprietary program design and intellectual property and, therefore, they must pay particular attention to hold a high degree of confidentiality.
Legal Background in the United States:
Home for Refugees is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. This means that we conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, membership in any labor organization, political ideology, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual. The status of Home for Refugees as an equal opportunity employer does not prevent the organization from hiring staff based on their religious beliefs, so that all staff share the same religious commitment. Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 [42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a)] Home for Refugees has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with Home for Refugees USA’s Statement of Faith.
*If you wish to apply to please send a cover letter and resume to our executive director, Minda Schweizer, by emailing email@example.com along with the position title to which you are applying.