Development Coordinator at Home for Refugees USA
Los Angeles County or Orange County, CA
About the job
Development Coordinator Position Description
Supervisor: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Class: Full-time, pay based on experience
Location: Home for Refugees is Southern California based (Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, and San Diego) coaching Community Sponsorship Teams nationally. Our fundraising scope is national with the majority of our donors in Southern California at this phase in our organizational growth. The position is currently remote from home office with some in-person meetings.
Schedule: Mostly Monday-Friday during regular work hours; some evening and weekend communication, meetings, and events.
Founded in 2017, Home for Refugees (HFR) is a Christian community-based organization that seeks to “empower refugees to sustain new homes, find new hope, and fully experience life” through Community Sponsorship Teams, which we refer to as Home Teams.
Under the leadership of the Executive Director, this individual will help to create each year a Development Plan to increase and sustain our annual budget. The Development Coordinator will be responsible for planning and executing fundraising special events and fundraising initiatives that create visibility for the mission of Home for Refugees USA and cultivating donor partnerships and relationships that build the organization’s capacity to achieve its revenue goals. Additionally, they will create and manage fundraising appeals and communications pieces including, but not limited to direct mail, social media, email campaigns, and crowdfunding. The Development Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director, Business Operations Director, Board, and Staff.
To better be able to cast vision and fundraise effectively, this position will also serve as a Home Team Coach and coach a Home Team themselves to help give a warm welcome and a good start to a refugee family their first year of resettlement.
This position will also help to develop and cultivate a development mindset for everyone involved with HFR – staff, board, and volunteers – that we are all in this together.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main categories consist of the following, other duties may be assigned.
Development Planning and Coordination [75%]
- Develop an annual development plan in coordination with the Executive Director and Business Operations Director for each new fiscal year (Oct-Sept) leveraging diverse streams of giving including:
- Annual fundraising events (large Gala in Oct, golf tournament in Spring, and small fundraising events January thru July – refugee chef dinners)
- Individual donations
- Online giving
- Peer to peer giving
- Individuals committing monthly or annually
- Faith groups committing monthly or annually
- Corporate sponsorships
- Foundation support
- Direct mail
- Inspire and empower board, volunteers, and staff to fundraise
- Identify, write, and track grants
- Recruit, coordinate, and lead as our event director of our annual fall Gala Planning Committee and spring golf tournament
- Recruit, coordinate, and lead our annual smaller fundraising events January thru July – Refugee Chef Dinners and active fundraisers like walk/runs.
- Coordinate our monthly newsletter and social media fundraising efforts
- Communicate, verbally and in writing, on a timely basis with staff, volunteers, donors, and other stakeholders
- Script speeches, press releases, and other documents to give a vision for development, for your own delivery, or delivery by the Executive Director or other stakeholders (if needed)
- Recruit volunteers to be involved with Home for Refugees as a whole and for fundraising planning and participation.
- Serve as an ambassador of HFR on behalf of refugees, continually cultivating relationships, and making the most efficient use and care of all resources.
Development Administration [20%]
- Learn and maintain our donor database Neon
- Serve as the primary contact for donors; respond to and resolve administrative issues as they arise.
- Provide administrative support related to fundraising efforts as needed
- Coordinate with HFR financial staff (accounting, management, AR/AP, etc) to ensure timely processing of transactions and accurate financial reporting
Home Team Involvement [5%]
- Serve as a coach in our Home Team program to give vision for refugee resettlement and context for the Development Manager position.
· Committed to the mission, vision and values of Home for Refugees and its beliefs as a Christian organization
· Passionate about making the world a better place, and improving the lives of refugees through resettlement teams
· Bachelor’s degree
· 3-5 years previous nonprofit fundraising experience
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to prioritize, multi-task and organize in a fast paced and fluid environment
· Computer proficiency in main Microsoft Office 365 applications – such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
· Personal computer that is reliable and works efficiently with Microsoft Office 365 software suite
· Works well on a virtual staff team
· Skilled at leading teams virtually
· Skilled at social media
· Able to provide proof of the first two vaccination doses against COVID-19
· Strong knowledge of issues surrounding immigrants and immigration policy; reasonable knowledge of immigrant populations; demonstrate cultural competency; and have a basic understanding of transformational development principles.
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including social media skills and speaking in public and to the press
· Demonstrated experience developing and successfully executing fundraising year plans, esp. in a human services/human relations context
· Successful track record working and building relationships with donors, non-profit boards, and granting institutions and writing and submitting grants
· Successful history of identifying, securing, and cultivating corporate sponsors
· Excellent research skills related to identifying, securing, and engaging prospective donors
Energetic, creative, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
· Professional manner, warm demeanor, collaborative work style, strong moral compass, and positive outlook
Employees holding this position may have access to employee and client financial data, proprietary program design and intellectual property and, therefore, they must pay particular attention to hold a high degree of confidentiality.