Youth Pastor (Half Time) at Hillside Church
North Vancouver, BC
About the job
About Hillside Church
Hillside Church (hillsidebaptist.ca) is a growing, multi-generational church located in North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley that strives to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, love each other in humility and grace, and love our neighbours as ourselves. Lynn Valley is a rapidly expanding, flourishing community backed against mountains and forest with many opportunities for outdoor recreation, which forms the heart of the community.
The Youth Pastor will be primarily responsible for the Youth Ministry at Hillside Church, which includes Oasis (High School) and Club 67 (Middle School). A large part of this responsibility is supporting, encouraging, and equipping the team of youth leader volunteers who serve in leadership roles in Oasis and Club 67. The youth pastor will report to and be mentored by one of the pastors. The youth pastor may be asked to perform other ministry functions such as preach or visit congregants from time to time.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Ministry responsibilities include the following:
- Develop, plan and oversee the discipleship and outreach programs for Oasis and Club 67 youth ministries. These include weekly Wednesday night (Oasis) and Friday night (Club 67) youth events, discipleship opportunities in smaller group settings (such as leadership gatherings, Youth Alpha or other Bible studies), semiannual retreats and other activities around the North Shore.
- Provide spiritual leadership and counsel for the youth, youth leaders and parents. Includes being an informed resource for youth and parents regarding contemporary youth issues and concerns (e.g., online bullying, social media, drug use)—and regularly praying for the youth, youth leaders and parents.
- Coordinate and integrate the youth ministry with the goals and activities of Hillside Church at large. This includes attendance at weekly staff meetings (Tuesday mornings) and worship gatherings, quarterly congregational meetings and other fellowship opportunities at Hillside. The church sometimes takes on interns. If there is a youth intern, the youth pastor would be involved in supervising the intern.
- Provide appropriate communication with youth and parents outside of the large group settings through regular and ongoing contact. This could include individual contact through social media, text messages or other appropriate means, such as church announcements or newsletters.
- Continue maintaining relationship with Keats Camp. Our youth pastors have long made speaking at Keats camp a priority in the summer, which has usually resulted in a number of kids coming from Keats to Oasis. While we won’t require the youth pastor to speak, we do want her or him to maintain ties with Keats.
- Work under an Elder-appointed supervisor as part of the pastoral staff. This includes semi-annual reviews with the Staff-Elder overseer.
- Perform other ministry functions in the congregation as requested by the Pastoral leadership team. Such things as preaching, teaching and visitation.
- Manage the annual budget and administrative aspects of the Youth ministry.
- Must have a heart for youth ministry
- 3+ years of youth ministry experience preferred
- Must be skilled in teaching the Bible in lessons, talks, and Bible study formats.
- A skilled planner, organizer, and leader
- Able to lead a youth ministry without close supervision
- Comfortable leading a team of young adult leaders
How to Apply
To apply, please fill out this theological statement and send a cover letter and resume to Nate Collins at [email protected] Questions may be directed to Nate as well. Applications will be accepted until May 15th, 2023, unless the position is filled before then. Candidates may be interviewed during the submission period.
870 Lynn Valley Road
North Vancouver, BC, International V7J 1Z7