About the job
Planted in 1946, Highlands is a non-denominational, multi-generational church on the eastside of Seattle committed to helping people find and follow Jesus. We are passionate about bringing the hope and healing of the gospel to our broken world in a wise and winsome way. The Worship Pastor will pursue this mission through leading our church’s gathered worship and personally pursuing discipling relationships inside and outside our church.
What We’re Looking For:
- Character // Someone who enjoys God, loves people, and is passionate about serving in the local church. Cherishing the gospel, demonstrating the fruit of the Spirit, and relating well to people matters most in this role.
- Commitment to Word-Centered Worship // Someone who believes the Word does the work of creating and forming God’s people and is passionate about planning worship gatherings saturated with Scripture through reading the Bible, praying the Bible, singing the Bible, preaching the Bible, and seeing the Bible in Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Commitment to Gospel-centered transformation // Someone who believes Christianity is not primarily about what we must do for God, but is primarily about what God has done for us in Jesus, and is committed to this belief informing how we practice worship and discipleship.
- Art and Creativity // Someone who loves to create and is passionate about communicating truth to people’s hearts and minds in compelling, beautiful ways.
- Musical and Vocal Skill // Someone who is a gifted musician and vocalist who can lead rehearsals, teach parts, and coach and evaluate others.
The Worship Pastor is responsible for leading and planning Sunday gatherings and leading and developing the worship team.
- Provide leadership and pastoral care to the church and the worship team (staff and volunteers).
- Plan worship gatherings that are musically, artistically, culturally, and theologically thoughtful.
- Develop and maintain a song bank of theologically rich and singable songs including hymns, modern hymns, and new songs.
- Serve as the primary upfront leader of Sunday morning gatherings.
- Recruit and coach musicians, vocalists, tech team members, and other artists, serving as the champion for worship ministry.
- Lead rehearsals for weekly gatherings and special gatherings throughout the year.
- Work towards continued growth in quality of music and aesthetics, with an eye and ear for what’s simple and compelling.
- Oversee the Worship & Creative Arts budget in coordination with the Executive Pastor.
- Serve as a member of the Lead Team.
- Must possess the qualities of life and practice that demonstrate spiritual maturity meeting biblical requirements of an elder (1 Timothy 3; Titus 1).
- Strong leader with a solid work ethic and an ability to administrate as a leader of leaders.
- Ability to recruit and train leaders.
- Strong communication, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- A working knowledge of sound, light and video equipment and software preferred.
- Ability to work well with a variety of people.
- Organized and capable of handling multiple tasks at once.
- Positive presence, teachable, flexible, self-motivated.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A Master’s degree in Music, Theology, or Ministry is preferred.
- 5+ years of related experience preferred (can be substituted in some cases for a degree).
About Our Community
Highlands is located in Renton, Washington, our church is right next to beautiful Lake Washington, close to many hiking trails, and is steps away from Puget Sound. A short drive from our campus is Microsoft, Google, Boeing, IKEA, and the Seahawks' training facility. With close proximity to downtown Seattle, we are uniquely able to serve and reach a diverse group of people throughout Seattle's east side and South King County.
There is a tremendous opportunity in our community to advance the gospel and demonstrate its power to save and renew people and culture.
How To Apply
If you’re interested in this opportunity, we’d love to hear from you! Please complete the brief application at highlandscc.org/employment.