Director of Leadership Development at Harbor House Ministries
Oakland, CA 94606
About the job
Director of Leadership Development: Job Description
Harbor House Ministries is a Christian community development organization that serves families in the San Antonio neighborhood of Oakland, CA. We provide a safe place for opportunities, resources, and relationships to be shared so that all families in Oakland can flourish.
FOCUS & SCOPE
- Recruit, screen, train, develop, and encourage youth interns (high school students) for Harbor House’s Youth Leadership Program.
- Directly supervise youth interns during the elementary after-school and summer programs and ensure they are set-up for success in their role.
- Lead daily debrief sessions and quarterly trainings with interns focused on social-emotional, leadership, and job readiness skills.
- Develop, nurture and maintain positive relationships with interns. Maintain a contact list of interns and their parents for regular updates and communication. Ensure that individual needs are being addressed. Encourage parent participation in the program through kick-off and end-of-semester family gatherings.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education on program goals and objectives to ensure interns are fulfilling their responsibilities as mentors to the elementary students.
- Coordinate and oversee a spiritual formation group for high school students one evening per week.
- Plan content for formation groups, such as reading Scripture, prayer, journaling, worship, being out in nature, service and social justice initiatives, soul care activities.
- Ensure that program goals, objectives, and outcomes are being measured and reported to the Executive Director, staff, students, parents, and local schools.
- Collaborate with staff from other agencies as needed for successful partnerships, including the local high schools that our interns attend and area churches.
- Assist with other organization administrative duties and organization-wide events as needed.
- Ensure that all COVID-19 safeguards and protocols are followed in accordance with the Alameda County Health Department.
- Immediately report accidents or suspicions of abuse to the Executive Director and to Child Protective Services.
- Support and contribute to a safe and healthy work environment.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
College degree required, preferably in a human services, education, or youth ministry field. Experience working in an urban community development setting is preferred.
- Solid commitment to own personal spiritual formation.
- Passion for holistic community transformation and the overall mission/vision of Harbor House.
- Proven leadership record.
- Innovative and a pioneering spirit.
- Willingness to listen, learn, and be held accountable.
- Interest and experience in ministering to youth.
- Ability to engage youth in large and small group activities and discussions.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Open heart to build relationships with youth from a variety of backgrounds.
- Self-motivation and initiation.
- Sound judgment and integrity.
- Flexibility/ability to cope with changes well.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Medical and dental benefits provided. Paid time off accrued. Hours are mostly late morning to early evening.