Digital Evangelist at Good Samaritan Episcopal Church
San Diego CA 92121
About the job
Digital Evangelist Sought by Good Samaritan Episcopal Church, San Diego
Good Samaritan Episcopal Church’s mission is to be the gospel of Christ by holding hands, reaching out to our neighbors, striving to love and be loved. We seek a digital evangelist to plan and execute communications with existing members and to create strategies and coordinate staff and volunteers to reach out to people of all backgrounds in our surrounding community. Our goal is to share the Good News of God’s love for everyone and the living reality of Christ in our lives. This position reports to the Rector (senior pastor). It is a ¾-time position with medical, dental and vision benefits and vacation and sick leave plans for the employee.
The job duties include the following:
• work with the staff on a communications strategy to reach out to our neighborhood, especially the UCSD community, employing a variety of social media
• help to develop new missional inreach with UCSD students and young families
• produce liturgy bulletins with minimal direction from the Rector
• create and maintain areas of the church website
• help create and publish a visually engaging, social media-enabled email newsletter that is sent twice a week
• maintain member records in the church database and add new members to the database
• create communications calendar and create calendar entries as well as events on church web site and social media platforms
The digital evangelist must be well organized, able to strategize, self-driven and able to work in a collaborative manner. Previous experience working in a church environment as employee or volunteer is highly desired. Previous experience with campus ministry is especially helpful. The digital evangelist must be a Christian committed to a life of discipleship, and knowledgeable of the Episcopal liturgical tradition and current practices.
Skills: Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to attract people’s interest in projects, events, groups, worship, and more. Ability to use web site content management system to work on web site; ability to create new templates in Constant Contact and similar software. Ability to acquire and alter images for a variety of media uses. Familiarity with variety of social media platforms and the most effective ways to communicate them to all generations using a variety of media forms. Ability to communicate in a pastoral, friendly and knowledgeable manner with the public on the phone and in person. Spanish and Mandarin are a plus.
It is a small office staff with only 2 other individuals. At present, most work is done remotely with Zoom meetings used for discussion. All Covid-19 precautions are followed, including mask wearing, social distancing and disinfecting areas used.