Director of Family Ministries at First United Methodist Church of Redondo Beach
Redondo Beach, CA
About the job
Director of Family Ministries, First UMC of Redondo Beach
Purpose: The Director of Family Ministries will create and implement a family ministry program that offers a relevant, safe, fun environment for children, youth, and families to grow in their faith in Jesus Christ. The Director of Family Ministries will recruit, equip, and guide a ministry team of staff and volunteers in providing high quality discipleship, outreach, spiritual formation, leadership development, worship, and mission opportunities for children, youth, and their families. The Director of Family Ministries will work with the church leadership and staff to develop a family ministry program that reflects our mission and values.
• Recruit, equip and lead adult volunteers to help lead the children, youth, and family ministry programs of the church.
• Supervise youth and children’s ministry assistants, nursery staff, and children and youth ministry volunteers.
• Identify, foster, and develop leadership within the youth group
• Represent Family Ministries as a part of the church staff, Church Council and in other areas of the church and community.
• Oversee and manage the children, youth, and family ministries programs.
• Develop new programs and seek to find ways to grow these programs, the connections between participants and their faith development.
• Equip families with resources and education to help them become actively and
intentionally involved in the spiritual formation and discipleship of their families.
• Promote service and outreach through age-appropriate service projects.
• In collaboration with the Senior pastor, provide pastoral support and care for children, youth, and their families.
• Manage communication with children, youth, families, and the congregation using the various communication tools available.
• Coordinate schedules and volunteers. Screen and ensure volunteers follow Safe Gathering protocols.
• Develop and oversee budgets for the children’s, youth, and family ministry programs.
• Manage the children and youth spaces of the church, ensuring they are safe, clean and presentable for shared use.
• Ability to record and produce videos for worship and for the programs of the church.
A mature Christian faith and an ability to think theologically are required, as well as the ability to:
• Relate easily to parents, children, youth and church members.
• Communicate Christian values of acceptance, care, and love.
• Administer the program, including recruitment and supervision of volunteer leaders.
• Budgeting, effective planning, and clear communication
• Climb stairs and lift approximately 35 pounds
• College degree
• Graduate education and/or children, youth, family ministries experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a team of leaders, be a team player, develop and oversee a budget, and coordinate ministry with the church staff to achieve the mission of the church.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
• Excellent planning including the ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities as well as demonstrated ability to execute well organized programs and events.
• Effective communication skills with children, youth, and their parents.
• Strong computer and social media skills including, but not be limited to, Canva, Google Workspace, Website, Constant Contact, and various Social Media Platforms. Knowledge of Google Docs, Word and Excel helpful.
The position of Director of Family Ministries is a full time, salaried position and the salary is based upon a projected 40 hours per week. The actual number of hours required during any given week are those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Furthermore, it is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year. Employment at FUMCRB provides paid vacation and sick leave, 10 paid holidays per year, basic health insurance and eligibility to enroll in the United Methodist Personal Investment Plan (UMPIP) a 403(b)-retirement plan. There is a comprehensive job description available upon request.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com by June 30, 2021 for priority review. Position will remain open
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
Yes we have all COVID-19 precautions in place for someone to join. Most of the work is remote until COVID is over.
Remote interview process
Personal protective equipment provided or required
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place