Director of Youth Ministry at First Presbyterian Church San Diego
San Diego, CA 92101
About the job
We are seeking the aid of a motivated leader and learner who wants to gain tangible ministry experience with mentored direction. This position will be primarily focused on our ministry to youth (6-12 grades) with the assistance of parents and the associate pastor.
This position has a great deal of flexibility based on the availability, training level and gifts of the person taking the role. Here is a brief summary:
· Devoted follower of Christ with godly character
· Some prior experience in youth work is desirable
· An ability to recruit, teach, mobilize, and communicate effectively.
· Social skills adequate with the requirements of the job
· Supportive of the mission, vision and values of First Presbyterian Church
· Reliable and teachable team player
Job Responsibilities (20-25 hours per week):
· Devoting time and energy to learning about gospel ministry in the context of the local church – through experience, meeting with the Pastor and Elders, reading and prayer.
· Responsible to work toward developing Christ-centered, loving and personal relationships with the youth of our congregation.
· Teaching and discipling youth (in a various settings) in the Word of God and the ways of a gospel-centered follower of Christ.
· Learning and implementing helpful ways to equip other adults in the ministry of life-on-life discipleship to youth.
· Facilitating and executing different youth events throughout the year.
· Meet with the Associate Pastor and Elders to establish and review specific ministry goals and objectives.
Compensation and What to Expect from First Presbyterian Leadership
Compensation will be commensurate to hourly work. Work days and hours will be discussed with the Senior Pastor, as head of staff. There will be opportunities for additional seminary training and educational resources to aid in the development of ministry abilities.
Our Leadership’s commitment to you:
· Regularly meet with, pray for, and mentor you
· Help you develop in character, ministry competencies and theological convictions
· Provide regular feedback and periodic evaluation of your work
· Involve you in meetings, visitations, evangelism, leadership opportunities, planning and any other activities relevant to your development
· Ensure the well-being of your spouse and family as their pastors and elders
About First Presbyterian Church San Diego
Historically committed to proclamation of the Biblical Word of God in a downtown context, First Presbyterian was founded the same year San Diego became a city: 1869. We worship the Lord Jesus Christ in a reformed tradition, serve the needs of the urban poor and homeless through the Ladle ministry, and equip the next generation for God’s mission in the world through City Tree Christian School (Preschool — 8th grade).