Pastoral Intern at First Presbyterian Church
Petersburg, AK 99833
About the job
Pastoral Intern: Position Description
First Presbyterian Church, Petersburg, Alaska
Looking for a joyful adventure in ministry? Dream of an Alaskan sojourn, working in a place surrounded by the wonders of nature where eagles soar above and whales ride the tides of the sea? Feeling called to a ministry in the midst of a group of committed Christians and wonderful loving people? Then consider a summer internship in Petersburg, AK.
Church and Community Description
Petersburg is a small (pop. 3,000) community on Mitkof Island in the Southeast panhandle of Alaska. The community, founded by Norwegian fishermen on the site of a long-standing Tlingit fish camp, still maintains strong ties to both Norwegian and Tlingit heritages, and continues to make a living from the sea by fishing and tourism.
Petersburg is located on the waters of Frederick Sound near the summer feeding grounds of hundreds of humpback whales. Eagles soar in the skies above, and salmon return to their spawning grounds. The Stikine-LeConte Wilderness Area, with the spectacular LeConte Glacier calving off tons of bright blue icebergs, is just a short boat ride away.
Our church is small but faithful. Our recently-updated Vision Statement is both aspirational and inspirational as we seek to serve the Kingdom of God:
Our longtime pastor retired in June 2018. Since then we have worked diligently with several short-term pastors to discern the future of our congregation. We have a clearer vision of our capabilities and limitations and are looking for a pastor who will help us finalize our goals toward long-term ministerial leadership.
Pastoral Intern EXPECTATIONS:
· Prepare worship, bulletins and lead worship including preaching each Sunday.
· Provide pastoral visitation and care for church members and friends.
· Be a visible presence in the community for the church and the Kingdom of God.
· Preside at funerals/memorial services as requested.
· Lead devotions at our two local Long Term Care facilities as scheduled.
· Coordinate planning for session meetings with the Presbytery-appointed moderator.
· Enjoy God’s creation!
Northwest Coast Presbytery (NWCP) will appoint pastoral supervision for an intern. The intern will meet regularly via phone or internet with the supervisor. The supervisor will help direct and advise the intern in the ways of ministry in a remote setting and provide pastoral support when necessary.
Petersburg First Presbyterian Church agrees to:
· Provide a warm welcome, orientation, and introduction to the community!
· Provide comfortable, furnished housing (with utilities).
· Provide a stipend of $2,500.00 per month (for anticipated 40-hour/work week, prorated as needed).
· Work with the intern to reflect on and understand the community and culture of the people of Petersburg
For more information about the position contact:
Charley Streuli (Clerk of Session) (907) 518-4194 firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Delaney (Acting EP) (206) 799-6793 email@example.com
For more information about Petersburg view the community website: www.petersburg.org
Church contact information:
PO Box 712, Petersburg, Alaska 99833
Church is located on an island in SE Alaska (accessible only by air or boat) with one community of approx. 3,000 people. Incidence of COVID has been very low for recent months, congregation is fully vaccinated & boosted, and has been meeting in person.