About the job
First Presbyterian Church of Hayward (FPCH)
2490 Grove Way
Castro Valley, CA 94546
Lead Pastor for Spiritual and Community Development
Full-time + Benefits (medical, vision, dental, childcare)
FPCH is committed to providing an inclusive environment for all, regardless of gender, age, gender identity, race, health status, national origin, relationship status, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity and socioeconomic status.
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
· Experience in a multi-staff leadership role
· Experience preaching and teaching on a regular basis
· Experience in leading the spiritual development of others
· Has demonstrated an ability to be creative, innovate, and be an “out of the box” thinker
· Has demonstrated an ability to understand the historical church and lead a community into a “new” vision
· Has demonstrated a deep knowledge of Scripture and its practical application in the local/global community
· Multi-lingual would be encouraged
THIS CANDIDATE HAS THE ABILITY TO LEAD
Proven ability to lead and pastor multi-culturally
Proven ability to lead and pastor multi-generationally
Proven ability to lead and pastor multi-socioeconomically
Proven ability to develop and lead talented teams of people
Must be caring, compassionate, and approachable as a leader
THIS CANDIDATE LEADS WITH RELATIONSHIP BUILDING
· Has demonstrated self-awareness as it relates to cultural and intersectional identity.
· Has experience in providing Pastoral Care to a faith community
· Must be familiar/comfortable with social media, with a potentially strong social media presence in regard to advocacy and theological expression
· Holds a welcoming and affirming theological position
The responsibilities of this position are to be conducted under the supervision of the Session of First Presbyterian Church and in partnership with the Lead Pastor of Community Outreach. The Human Resource Taskforce will provide oversight and guidance and will conduct requisite reviews as to job performance. This position is subject to the terms and conditions of the most current Personnel Policies and Practices Manual.
Any person assuming this position will have read and agreed to be subject to the terms and conditions of the Personnel Policies and Practices Manual of the First Presbyterian Church of Hayward, including an understanding that any employment agreement will depend upon a satisfactory background check and a satisfactory explanation of irregularities. The background check may include but is not limited to clearances by a background search agency to review for criminal records, education verification, Social Security trace, license or credential verification, previous employment verification, previous credit, DMV, etc.
Note that FPCH stands for First Presbyterian Church of Hayward and it includes the church plants and other activities that are all under the same tax ID number. SHP stands for South Hayward Parish.
· Creates and executes vision for the overall movement of First Presbyterian Church with the Elders and the Lead Pastor of Community Outreach
· Supervises and leads all staff who currently work in the Community Life and Worship Divisions of FPCH
· Supervises and leads the Community Life Division of FPCH which include: Student Ministry, Children's Ministry, Pastoral Teams, Community Groups, Deacons, Community Gatherings and Community Connection
· Supervises and leads the Worship Divisions of FPCH which include: Spiritual Formation & Development, Worship Music Team
· Co-supervises and co-leads the Mission Support Division with the Lead Pastor of Community Outreach
· Plans, prepares, and executes all liturgical gatherings with creativity and excellence
· Preaches and teaches on a regular basis
· Builds authentic discipleship relationships with members of the FPCH faith community
· Maintains an active presence in the local community and FPCH faith community
· Recruits and develops volunteer leadership for all roles within the overall movement of FPCH – specifically within the Community Life and Worship Divisions
· Attends, leads and/or participates in all necessary staff meetings, team meetings, and leadership meetings
· Other duties as assigned by the Elders
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is considered full-time and exempt for an average of 40 hours per week, although more or fewer hours could be necessary at certain times and could be arranged in partnership with the Lead Pastor of Community Outreach and Session. Vacation, sick leave, and other terms of employment shall be as provided per the Personnel Policies and Practices Manual of Session.