Director of Classic Music and Chancel Choir at First Presbyterian Church of Burlingame (Burlpres Church)
About the job
Purpose: The Director of Classic Music and Chancel Choir will plan, prepare, and perform traditional Christian music with the Chancel Choir.
Supervision: The Director of Classic Music and Chancel Choir is under the direct supervision of the Director of Worship Arts. He/She shall be responsible to Session through the Worship and Personnel Committees.Status:
This is a part-time exempt position without benefits.
- Provide or arrange musical leadership for the Chancel Choir in Worship and seasonal concerts.
- Collaborate with the Director of Worship Arts and Worship Planning Team weekly to oversee dramatic, musical and artistic aspects of the production of Sunday Worship
- Oversee the efforts of paid and volunteer musicians, including the church Organist. Ensure a collaborative and collegial atmosphere
- As needed, procure, and oversee the efforts of, other musicians including soloists; instrumentalists; and Chancel Choir section leaders; all within established
- Worship Personnel budget parameters.
Assist choir members in achieving the correct tone, pitch, rhythm, tempo and harmony.
- Oversee the selection of music for the Chancel Choir within the Worship budget.
Create and distribute digital music rehearsal recordings to choir members.
- Attend Staff meetings and Worship Committee Meetings.
- The Director of Classic Music and Chancel Choir is expected to:
Be a cooperative team member with the Director of Worship Arts.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Be supportive of burlpres church and its staff in all contacts with the membership, congregation and the general public.
- Comply with the policies and procedures as noted in the most current burlpres employee handbook.
- Oversee special musical projects as requested.
- Deep familiarity of classic style worship music
- Strong leadership and listening skills; Ability to lead choir rehearsals
- Availability to conduct evening rehearsals once a week (approx 2 hours), attend Worship Planning meetings each week (approx 3 hours), and direct the choir at the Sunday morning service (approx 2 hours).
- History of success growing and recruiting new musicians (both volunteer and professional)
- Ability to innovate and bring creative concepts (strings quartet one week, organ the next, choir take a week off to feature soloists, cantatas, etc.)
- A passion for sharing God’s love through music
- Willingness to oversee a childrens’ choir and/or supervise a Children’s Choir Director, and assist with quarterly performances preferred
- Piano/Keyboard proficiency preferred
- ProPresenter and Planning Center software experience preferred