About the job
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley / Berkeley Christian Counselors
Executive Director, Berkeley Christian Counselors
Exempt, 25 hours/week, Benefits
Priority deadline to apply: December 31, 2020, open until filled
Position Title: Executive Director, Berkeley Christian Counselors Date: November 2020
The Executive Director provides oversight and operational leadership, vision, management, and guidance to accomplish the mission of Berkeley Christian Counselors (BCC). BCC is a ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley and as such, clinicians are Christians. BCC is a fee-for-service counseling center that provides professional counseling services to clients from the communities throughout the Bay Area.
Clinical Management and Supervision (40%)
· Direct day-to-day BCC clinical intake, client assignments, client documentation, and follow up.
· Provide spiritual support and nurturing of counselors toward the integration of Christian faith and psychological principles and practices.
· Ensure legal supervision requirements are met through oversight of the supervisors.
o Provide individual/group supervision as necessary and appropriate.
· Recruit, retain, consult, and mentor licensed clinicians to balance the counselor skill sets to meet client needs (i.e. facilitate consultation group).
· Determine the plans for BCC Associate/Trainee (intern) training, all staff professional development, and for ongoing clinical supervision.
· Design and maintain Training Program curriculum for clinic staff – including the majority of the teaching of said curriculum and recruitment of guest lecturers as needed.
Administration, Finance, and Operations (40%)
· Oversee daily operations and finances.
· Develop strategies, policies, and procedures for all operational procedures for client communications, collection of fees, facility management, and data retention and reporting.
· Maintain financial records and provide data reports as requested.
· Establish the annual budget and oversee BCC’s financial accountability to the church.
· Identify and mitigate restraints to serving more client needs and enabling more counselor hours. Develop best practices for clinical and operational policies and procedures by benchmarking other counseling centers.
Ministry Leadership (10%)
· Create a culture of integrity, high ethical standards, and competence, with teaming and collaboration to serve the needs of clients and counselors.
· Serve as a partner and support resource to First Pres pastors, ministry staff, church leaders, and volunteers as directed by the Associate Pastor for Caring.
o Develop collaborative opportunities between BCC and Caring ministry (i.e., social work support)
o Partner in developing response plans for community/church trauma issues.
o Plan and deliver psycho-education workshops, classes, and seminars for the church and community.
Outreach and Marketing (10%)
· Develop and execute a marketing plan utilizing a wide-range of communication vehicles including the BCC website, mailing campaigns, brochures, internet, pulpit talks, media, and online articles, etc. Measure marketing effectiveness and implement changes as necessary.
· Develop ongoing awareness of BCC within larger community including other churches.
· Create networking partnerships with educational institutions offering Practicum and Internship opportunities in psychology i.e., Wright Institute, Holy Names, Fuller Seminary, etc.Develop a variety of services to fulfill the clinical needs of the community and partner churches such as support groups, classes, workshops, and seminars.
· Maintain relationships with Bay Area counselors/centers which are referral resources for BCC.
· Master’s Degree (minimum) or Doctoral Degree in Counseling or related field
· Licensed Clinician (Licensed Psychologist, LCSW, LPCC, LMFT) and meets California BBS supervision requirements
· Experience working with diverse populations
· 5 years non-profit management experience preferred
· 3 years Clinical supervision experience preferred
· Church ministry experience preferred
· Grant writing and/or fundraising experience
· Proficiency in a second language (Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, or Spanish)
Reports to: Associate Pastor for Caring (dotted line report to Executive Director for Operations)
Work Schedule: 25 hours per week scheduled Monday–Friday, with an occasional Sunday morning.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts First Presbyterian Church leadership’s right
to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley encourages individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. According to the value of unity in diversity found in our faith tradition, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all job applicants and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state and local laws.
How to Apply:
· Find our application form at https://www.fpcberkeley.org/careers
· Return this form with your cover letter and resume to Bonnie Rauscher, Human Resources, at email@example.com, or First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley, 2407 Dana St., Berkeley, CA 94704.
Priority Deadline: December 31, 2020. Rolling review upon receipt.
Early applications are encouraged. Position will remain open until filled.
Job offer is contingent on passing a criminal record background check.
COVID-19 precautions: Most of our staff are working remotely. Anyone on site is required to mask, distance, and sanitize frequently. Work surfaces and equipment are sanitized regularly. All presence on campus is documented.