About the job
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley Director of University & Young Adult Ministry
Reports to Associate Pastor for Missional Engagement Exempt, Full time
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Priority deadline to apply: May 15, 2021
JOB SUMMARY (Description of what this position is created to accomplish.)
To engage, minister to, and offer spiritual leadership to the university and young adult community within the church. Provide learning, serving, and connecting opportunities tailored to the unique needs of these communities. Foster ways for the University and Young Adult communities to integrate and get involved within the life of the wider church.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/ACTIVITIES (Essential functions in order of importance, including what must be accomplished, supervision/management responsibilities, standards for quality/quantity, etc.)
Outreach and Spiritual Formation of University Students and Young Adults
- Develop and oversee outreach strategy for college & university students, including UC Berkeley students, grad students and young adults, including forging meaningful partnerships with other campus ministries.
- Foster and build a safe and nurturing Christian community for young adults.
- Oversee the development and implementation of curricula and regular programs to support the spiritual formation of our university students and young adults.
- Identify, equip, and support lay leaders to walk alongside and support young adults through programs and special events.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to create internal and external communication plans to promote the ministry with your target audience(s) and the broader church.
- Collaborate with the Director of Engagement to connect students and young adults with opportunities for service and leading worship.
Connect Students and Young Adults with the Church
- Create engagement opportunities for the broader church community to connect with students and young adults.
- Prepare and manage the annual budget in partnership with elders and Associate Pastor for Missional Engagement.
- Attend staff meetings to ensure connection between students and young adult ministries and the broader First Pres community.
- Lead the 2:42 House community.
- Commitment to and passion for the Christian faith and church.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years leadership experience working with students or young adults
- Strong communication skills – both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in a sensitive and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, equip, motivate and work with lay leaders.
- Ability to work with and relate to the diverse FPCB community.
- Proficient knowledge of needed software programs and web-based applications, which include: Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Drive and Docs, and familiarity with using database programs. Willing and able to learn new programs and applications as needed.
SCHEDULE This position is full-time with the expectation of working on Sundays and weekends as needed. Exact schedule of workdays and days off to be coordinated with the supervisor.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts the right of the leadership of First Presbyterian Church to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
How to Apply:
- Complete our application form at http://www.fpcberkeley.org/employment.asp
- Return application form with your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com
Priority Deadline: May 15, 2021. Rolling review upon receipt. Position will remain open until filled. Offer will be contingent on passing a criminal record background check.
Go here for updates https://www.fpcberkeley.org/coronavirus/