Church Administrative Assistant at First German United Methodist Church
556 W. Glenoaks Blvd. Glendale, CA 91202
About the job
First German United Methodist Church Administrative Assistant
First German UMC is looking for a self starter who is excited to help the church build new bridges to Christ-centered community across the boundaries that divide today's Glendale. The Church Administrative Assistant (CAA) is a support position to the office of the Pastor. The CAA manages day-to-day office clerical duties and church communications, including the church’s signage and social media.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Church Administrative Assistant
Answers and screens all incoming calls, routing them to the appropriate leaders when available, taking messages when needed, and oversees all mail correspondence with sensitivity and confidentiality.
Maintains an orderly and clean office and filing system and process all information requests.
Manages office supplies, keeps track of inventory, and purchases supplies as necessary.
Manages the church’s schedule, accounting for all religious holidays, appointments with the pastor, events in the church facilities, and weddings (schedules wedding tours and ceremony dates in collaboration with the church custodian).
Creates and publishes up-to-date looking church bulletin weekly, sermon series posters monthly, and special event and/or holiday posters and mailers as needed.
Maintains the church website and social media handles.
Manages Church membership software, keeping tabs activity of standing members and entering new ones.
Records tithes and offerings.
Works with pastor to maintain fastidious church staff files
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must be committed to the church’s mission and message.
• Must be able to multi-task and work at a fast pace, sticking to weekly deadlines.
• Must be a self-starter in their approach to administration.
• Must work well as part of a church team.
• Must be courteous and tactful with parishioners and staff members.
• Must exercise exceptional judgment in dealing with sensitive and personal issues.
•Must be able to handle light bookkeeping.
First German United Methodist Church Administrative Assistant Job Description
• Must be able to prioritize concerns, at times without much guidance.
• Must be comfortable working with technology and social media handles.
• Must be competent to interact well with people of diverse backgrounds
• Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Must be able to work occasional weekends, services and some special events. Not required to be in worship every Sunday, however.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
• Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree recommended.
• At least two years clerical or administrative experience preferred.
Compensation begins at $22 per hour. Raises are assessed based on performance.
Paid vacation time can be accrued up to two weeks per year in the first 3 years, and up to 3 weeks per year in the 4th to 8th year.
First German United Methodist Church is small but growing, historically German and English-speaking congregation of the United Methodist Church based in Glendale, California. From its early days, FGUMC has played host to followers of Jesus from all over the world. Today, FGUMC is a multicultural congregation just outside the heart of cosmopolitan Glendale. With an emphasis on bi-cultural and bi-lingual ministry, FGUMC's mission is to build bridges to Christ-centered community across the boundaries that divide us.
Find our website at: firstgermanglendale.church