Director of Children’s Ministry will lead and oversee the Children’s Ministry (birth to grade 5) within the scope of the overall church vision as set forth by the Senior Pastoral Team. The director will advance the Children’s Ministry by leveraging knowledge and experience in administration, education, and childhood development. With the collaborative efforts of the volunteers, parents, and the pastoral staff, the director oversees effective ministry for the spiritual growth of the children.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Create and communicate a clear vision, strategy, and development for all children’s ministries based on FCBCLA’s mission and vision
2. Create and foster a healthy ministry environment among volunteer workers and parents
3. Communicate with ministry volunteers and parents
4. Identify and develop gifted leaders for expansion of ministry and future roles
5. Oversee all aspects of the ministry with the support of the Children’s Ministry team
6. Recruit, screen, train, and supervise ministry leaders and other volunteers
7. Create and effectively manage a budget that aligns with mission/vision
8. Ensure the safety and security of our children during church activities and events by implementing all the appropriate policies and procedures
9. Provide correction to children when necessary, and resolve any conflicts between volunteers
10. Work with others to create and/or oversee programming such as Children’s Worship, Sunday School, fellowship, educational/equipping events, camp, Vacation Bible School, local outreach, and missions
11. Partner with parents in the spiritual development of their children
12. Continue ministries that foster and extend a family of faith and community of believers
13. Seek the spiritual well-being of children and volunteers
14. Be available as needs arise for prayer, crises, and other urgencies involving children
15. Provide care and counseling to children and families, visiting as needed
16. Regularly attend worship service and prayer gatherings
17. Regularly attend leadership and church meetings (e.g., Pastoral, Deacons, Members, and Prayer)
18. Perform other duties as directed by the English Lead Pastor
19. Comply with church policies and procedures
As a member of the pastoral staff, this position will have daily contact with the church office staff including maintenance, administrative staff members and various elected/appointed committees, as well as frequent contact with lay workers. On many occasions, members of the pastoral staff will have contact with third parties on behalf of the church. In all instances, pastoral staff members must maintain a professional and spiritual decorum in all contacts and communications (both written and oral) with all parties.
Minimal Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master’s degree in education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Work Experience:
- Three (3) years’ full-time experience with children in a church (with at least 150 members) in a minister or a school in a director role, or equivalent combination of experience, training and certification.
- Two (2) years’ experience working in a supervisory role is a plus.
Skills and Requirements:
- Administration, leadership, organizational management, and teaching.
- Proficiency in written and verbal English a must. Ability to converse in Cantonese and/or Mandarin is beneficial.
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
1. Become a member of FCBCLA and fully embrace the mission, vision, and values of the church
2. Completion of background check and in compliance with AB506
3. Office environment working at a modular desk
4. Work on a computer for several hours a day
5. Frequent standing and active movement are required
6. Operate standard office equipment including copiers, projectors and phone system
7. Must be able to drive to visit church members and friends as needed, as well as to attend various church functions/events
1. Acknowledges and agrees to abide by FCBCLA’s Constitution and By-laws and Statement of Faith.
2. The Director of Children’s Ministry is a member of the FCBCLA pastoral staff and is supervised by the English Lead Pastor.
1. Calling and Commitment
a. A committed calling by God into church ministry
b. Called by God especially to serve in the Children’s Ministry
a. A born-again believer, preferably baptized by immersion. A committed follower of Christ with demonstrated maturity and dependence on God.
b. Demonstrates God’s presence with him/her. A person of prayer. Loves God and His Word.
c. Humble, teachable and accountable
d. Pursues personal holiness
e. Unquestioned godliness and integrity
a. Personable, approachable, and available
b. Compassionate and caring for believers and non-believers
c. Encouraging and supportive
4. Spiritual Gifts and Abilities
a. Shows adept leadership over a large organization with many experienced volunteers and parents
b. Strong ability to multitask, initiate, organize, lead, and delegate. Manages time well.
c. Strong communication skills. Fluency in English, knowledge of Cantonese and/or Mandarin is beneficial.
$70k – $75k annually
Salary is commensurate with experience. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This job description is subject to change by the church as the needs of the church and requirements of the job change.