Director of Student and Young Adult Ministries at Dove of the Desert United Methodist Church
About the job
Director of Student and Young Adult Ministries
The purpose of the Director of Student and Young Adult Ministries at Dove of the Desert United Methodist Church is to draw our church community closer together so that we can draw closer to God through the spiritual development of our students (7th grade through 12th grade, and 18 to 24 year olds) and their families.
• Lead and coordinate teachers, facilitators, and volunteers in the Student Ministries and Young Adult Ministries
• Facilitate education and lead curriculum training of ministry volunteers (Sunday School, Youth Group, Mission Trip Preparation, local Service Projects, Dove Groups, and other activities)
• Serve as an advocate for Student Ministry with staff, congregation, and lay leaders
• Work Collaboratively with ministry volunteers
• Oversee and manage all Student Ministry (7th- 12th grade) and Young Adult Ministry (18 to 24 year-olds) programs
• Develop & implement new programs or initiatives to enhance and grow the respective ministries and help participants grow in their relationships with each other and Jesus Christ
• Equip families with resources and education to help them become actively and intentionally involved in the spiritual formation and discipleship of their families
• Develop and direct youth and family outreach opportunities
• Work with Children’s Ministry Director to develop opportunities for cross engagement and collaboration.
• Ensure appropriate supplies are made available to teachers and volunteers
• Manage communications with Children, Youth, and Families using a variety of technology and social media
• Recruit, interview, and screen volunteers and staff
• Coordinate schedules and train education volunteers
• Ensure Dove of the Desert UMC Safe Sanctuary Policy is followed and enforced including completion of appropriate training and paperwork
• Develop, implement, and manage budget for Youth and Family programs.
• Manage youth building spaces, ensuring spaces adequately meet the needs of the ministries
• Serve as a healthy and accessible role model of servant leadership
• Provide children, youth, and families with pastoral care as appropriate
• Network with community organizations to develop partnership opportunities
• Participate in all Church staff meetings and partner in all Church projects as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Theology, Ministry or related field is highly preferred. Equivalent experience in the field of education or children's ministries may substitute.
• Three years of experience in a leadership/management role in Children, Youth, and Family Ministries.
• Substantial knowledge of Christian education curriculum options
• Able to build positive and constructive relationships with children, youth and their parents
• Computer literacy that includes a familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
• A spiritually mature Christian with a strong sense of calling to children, youth, and family ministry
• Social justice-oriented theology
• Working knowledge of child development and youth culture
• Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
• Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proven planning, organization and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to leverage and mobilize volunteers and build community
• Able to utilize & leverage technology and social media to meet people where they are at appropriately
• Creative thinker, open to new ideas, improving work processes
• Strong attention to detail
• Approachable, open-minded, flexible and adaptable
Employment at Dove of the Desert UMC provides paid vacation and sick leave, a number of paid holidays per year, a health benefit package and eligibility to enroll in the United Methodist Personal Investment Plan (UMPIP) a 403(b) retirement plan.