About the job
Part-time, Non-exempt, Temporary (3-4 months)
Door of Hope is a Christian, faith-based nonprofit that equips families experiencing homelessness to rebuild their lives.
The Children’s Advocate assists the Children’s Coordinator in all aspects of the children’s program, early intervention, teen program, and special events. This person must be ministry-minded with a passion for children at-risk and a desire to grow and be stretched through this role. The position does require some schedule flexibility, but provides room to grow with the organization. In addition to assisting with administrative aspects of the program, the Children’s Advocate will diligently work with children of a variety of ages to nurture holistic development.
- 20-30 hours/week: generally 25 hours/week with room for 5 hours to be removed or added comfortably each week
- Schedule is flexible, but after training and orientation is completed, must be generally available Monday-Friday from 2pm-8pm with the possibility of increased evening hours in the future
- Occasional evenings, mornings, and weekend events
- This position is temporary and will last 3-4 months with the possibility of becoming regularly scheduled
- Prepare and implement scheduled enrichment curriculum bi-monthly under direction and supervision of the Children’s Coordinator, utilizing cloud-based planners
- Communicate regularly with residents and program partners, including distribution of monthly needs survey
- Build relationships and rapport with families served
- Organize and distribute children’s requested tangible needs from survey results
- Provide sign-up support for tutoring with School on Wheels
- Uphold program structure and discipline children when needed in alignment with Door of Hope’s discipline philosophy and policies
- Maintain and organize children and teen spaces
- Assist with various administrative tasks (permission slips, flyers, field trip paperwork, etc.)
- Chaperone summer activities
- Assist with the teen programming under direction of the Teen Coordinator
- Act as point-person for children’s holiday activities, including helping with annual toy drive and Door of Hope Christmas Party
- Perform any other task necessary to support the mission of Door of Hope
- Experience working with children required
- Experience working with children-at-risk or children with trauma or teaching experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work, psychology, education, or similar fields (in-progress or completed) a plus
- Driver's license required
- Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs. required
- Strong communication skills are a must
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred
- Basic understanding of Google Drive and computer literacy
- Ability to organize and teach enrichment curriculum is strongly preferred (ex. drama, music, painting, arts and crafts)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be patient, flexible, teachable, understanding, and possess a calm demeanor
Character (Do you embody Door of Hope’s four core values?)Christ-centered, expressed through:
- Faith: We have an active and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Calling: Out of a sense of calling, we go above and beyond to meet our mission.
- Character: We demonstrate the character of Christ toward colleagues and families.
- Empowering, expressed through:
- Trust: We trust one another, believe in one another, and give each other the freedom to take risks. (Mistakes are learning opportunities.)
- Accountability: We nurture God-given strengths through coaching and accountability.
- Holistic, expressed through:
Whole Person: Our emotional, spiritual and personal well-being matter to one another.
- Whole Organization: We are on one team with one mission. (We don’t do silos.)
Relationship expressed through:
- Family: We love, celebrate, and pray with one another.
- Reconciliation: We manage conflict, practice vulnerability, and pursue diversity with honesty and grace.
**To apply, send your resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please explain 1) your understanding of Door of Hope’s mission and faith-based nature and 2) why you are the perfect fit for this opening.**