Director of Marketing & Communications at Door of Hope
About the job
Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of families facing homelessness? Are you searching for not just a job, but a calling? Door of Hope, a Christian, faith-based nonprofit that empowers families facing homelessness to transform their lives, is hiring a Director of Marketing & Communications to be part of our life-changing work.
Reporting directly to the Director of Development, the Director of Marketing and Communications oversees the organization’s promotion and advertising efforts to widen our outreach, improve awareness of mission effectiveness among supporters, and increase donor engagement. A savvy communicator with a donor-centered approach, this person is responsible for “championing” our work in telling the Door of Hope story and how it is communicated both verbally and in writing. The Director will also create and manage a cohesive marketing strategy ensuring all digital and print projects are being planned and executed to meet deadlines. Finally, the Marketing and Communications Director will supervise and provide direction to the Marketing Associate to ensure deliverables align with DOH’s mission, vision and marketing brand.
- 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, occasional overtime
- 4 days in-office in Pasadena, Wednesdays work from home
- An occasional weekend or evening, as needed
Planning and Strategy
- Create and manage annual marketing and communications strategy to maximize cohesive messaging between various platforms, including a communications calendar for digital platforms.
- Create and maintain brand guidelines and compliance across organization
- Create and manage the annual marketing budget to ensure expenditures are compliant with approved amounts.
- Establish, monitor and assess Communication/Marketing KPIs across all digital and print platforms, adjusting strategy accordingly.
Written Communications - prepare all copy including narratives and Hope Stories for all fundraising & marketing related needs including, but not limited to the following:
- Annual and quarterly donor reports
- Email copy (2-3 times per month)
- Fundraising appeals (2-3 times per year)
- Newspaper coverage (2-3 times per year)
- Electronic donorversery cards
- Thank you and receipt letters
- Marketing collateral (e.g., brochures, thank you cards, etc)
- Major donor proposals
- Hope Stories - ongoing for a variety of use (2-3 per times per month)
Segmentation & Printer Coordination
- Develop segmentation for relevant outreach (e.g., fundraising appeals) to create a personalized touch to mass communications. Monitor results to discern effectiveness.
- Serve as primary liaison with the printer for large segmented projects to ensure accuracy.
- Drive concept, theme and supporting ancillary items to create a compelling appeal
- In collaboration with a videographer, produce all video content, about 6 videos per year. Examples: identify interviewees, conduct interviews, obtain appropriate b-roll, edit.
- Draft and/or edit program scripts, as needed.
- Execute all event-related content – invite, programs, party favors, etc.
Marketing Associate Oversight - supervise and provide direction to the Marketing Associate to ensure their deliverables align with DOH’s mission, vision and marketing brand. Specifically:
- Ensure designs are compelling and consistent with brand
- Ensure effective website oversight and updating, as appropriate
- Ensure social media updating (3-5 times per week) with appropriate diversity of messaging
- Assess engagement and effectiveness of digital strategy (e.g., monthly reporting).
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant non-profit development or marketing experience
- A minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience, preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills
- Relational savvy and effective at building relationships
- Creative self-starter with growth and learning mindset
- Computer Skills: fluency in GSuite (Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc), MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Adobe design software, Canva and WordPress preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent experience
Compensation & Benefits
Expected salary: $72,000 to $76,000 depending on experience
Competitive benefits package including:
- Paid PTO: 12 sick days, 12 holidays, 10 vacation days (increases over tenure), 5 jury duty days, up to 5 bereavement days
- Health Insurance: we cover 100% of your premium on our Kaiser Gold HMO or Cigna Oscar Silver EPO plans, PPO and Platinum HMO available as buy-up plans
- 403(b): 3% dollar-for-dollar match
Character (Do you embody Door of Hope’s four core values?)
Christ-Centered, expressed through:
- Faith: We have an active and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Calling: Out of a sense of calling, we go above and beyond to meet our mission.
- Character: We demonstrate the character of Christ toward colleagues and families.
Empowering, expressed through:
- Trust: We trust one another, believe in one another, and give each other the freedom to take risks. (Mistakes are learning opportunities.)
- Accountability: We nurture God-given strengths through coaching and accountability.
Holistic, expressed through:
- Whole Person: Our emotional, spiritual and personal well-being matter to one another.
- Whole Organization: We are on one team with one mission. (We don’t do silos.)
Relationship, expressed through:
- Family: We love, celebrate, and pray with one another.
- Reconciliation: We manage conflict, practice vulnerability, and pursue diversity with honesty and grace.