Development Director at Door of Hope
About the job
Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of families facing homelessness? Are you searching for not just a job, but a calling? Door of Hope, a Christian nonprofit that empowers families facing homelessness to transform their lives, is hiring a Development Director to raise the funds to make this life-changing work possible!
As Development Director, you will:
- Envision and set strategic direction for the development and fundraising efforts of the organization.
- Champion individual donor segment and oversee/delegate other segments.
- Coach and manage the development team, mentoring and empowering them to achieve their fullest potential as they support the goals of the organization.
Lead strategy, activities, and outcomes for development across all donor segments
- Lead the development team to produce $3.4M in operating revenue in 2021, increasing revenue at least 10% annually thereafter.
- Create, update, and execute the development plan, making changes and adjustments as needed with input from the Executive Director and Development Committee.
- Keep the development team accountable to the right activities that are predictive of success.
- Think creatively and strategically about how to scale organizational development efforts.
Champion the individual donor segment
- Envision and set strategy to cultivate, engage and ask individual donors for support, including low- and mid-level gifts, major gifts, endowment gifts, and legacy gifts.
- Delegate, manage and hold accountable components of plan to: Executive Director (major donors), Associate Director of Development & Volunteers (mid-level and in-kind donors), and Marketing Director (lower level donors).
- Support and supplement Executive Director’s major gift work, personally cultivating 75-100 relationships within ED’s portfolio and coaching ED to stay on track with all major donor relationships.
- Partner with Marketing Director to leverage mass marketing, digital marketing, social media and special events as tools for donor engagement and fundraising.
- Create and execute a monthly giving program.
- Create and execute a Planned Giving Program.
- Execute or delegate all donor research to inform cultivation and ask strategies, using iWave and other wealth research tools.
Ensure appropriate delegation and cultivation of other segments, including foundations, corporations, churches, organizations, and government grants
- Empower and coach Associate Director of Development & Volunteers to champion churches, organizations and corporations.
- Ensure that mass marketing, digital marketing, social media content and special events are appropriately leveraged for cultivation of institutional segments.
- Empower and coach Grant Writer to champion foundation grant writing, while cultivating foundation relationships in partnership with Executive Director.
- Empower and coach Operations Director to champion government grants in partnership with Executive Director.
- Liaise with accounting staff to ensure appropriate designation of gifts and cash flow projections.
- Coach and manage the accountability and growth of the development team
Develop plans for professional growth for each development team member.
- Provide constant, open and candid feedback to each team member.
- Lead development team with a healthy meeting rhythm, including: weekly one-on-ones with each direct report on development team, weekly development team meeting to solve key issues, quarterly meeting to stay on track with development plan and re-assign donors
- Host semi-annual performance reviews for all development team members
- At least 5-10 years of experience in fundraising (including individual and/or major donors)
- At least 3 years of Management and people development experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven track record of success in raising $1M+ annually
- Highly effective at driving decisions, meeting deadlines, and holding team accountable to decisions and deadlines
- Able to inspire, empower, lead and manage team members and keep them accountable
- Outgoing, enthusiastic, and interested in building relationships with a variety of different kinds of people
- Able to think creatively and strategically about how to scale organizational development efforts
- Competent and efficient when leading a meeting and creating/clarifying action plans
- Proficient in Google Suite (Drive, Sheets, Docs, etc.)
- Proficient in Salesforce or willing to master basic familiarity and proficiency in advance of start date.
Character (Do you embody Door of Hope’s four core values?)
Christ-centered, expressed through:
- Faith: We have an active and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Calling: Out of a sense of calling, we go above and beyond to meet our mission.
- Character: We demonstrate the character of Christ toward colleagues and families.
Empowering, expressed through:
- Trust: We trust one another, believe in one another, and give each other the freedom to take risks. (Mistakes are learning opportunities.)
- Accountability: We nurture God-given strengths through coaching and accountability.
Holistic, expressed through:
- Whole Person: Our emotional, spiritual and personal well-being matter to one another.
- Whole Organization: We are on one team with one mission. (We don’t do silos.)
Relationship, expressed through:
- Family: We love, celebrate, and pray with one another.
- Reconciliation: We manage conflict, practice vulnerability, and pursue diversity with honesty and grace.