About the job
Minister of Worship – Contemporary Worship and Music Ministry
Salaried, Currently listed as a Part-time position of 25 hours or under. Open to discussion with qualified candidates.
DUMC Vision Statement and Core Values
Vision Statement: Growing in relationships with Jesus and each other in a community of unconditional love and inclusivity.
· Discipleship – We grow our relationships with God and others through prayer, worship, music, acts of compassion, and generosity.
· Relationship – Our compassionate acceptance, respect, and love are attractive to others and draw them into community.
· Transformation - We are willing to continuously learn and grow to reflect the ultimate love given by God.
· Outreach – We are on a discipleship journey to attract others, share God’s love, and make more disciples.
Why this position exists
The priority of the Minister of Worship is to lead worship with a sense of ownership and enthusiasm, supporting the vision and values of DiscoveryUMC. This DUMC ministerial position, which at the center is contemporary music and worship, is vital to our identity and outreach and is volunteer-driven. The desire is to continuously recruit, train and empower volunteers. The worship experience at Discovery, both in-person and digital, should encourage and invite all attenders to explore and deepen their understanding of the ultimate love given by God and make more disciples.
DUMC Contemporary Worship (In-person and Digital) and other Church Ministry Responsibilities
· Develop worship plan and music for contemporary worship (in-person and digitally) collaborating with Senior Pastor and Worship Planning Committee for all worship services, special events and other ministries as needed:
o Develop the order of worship, lead the congregation and direct the flow and elements of the service
o Selection and preparation of all music
o Preparation of all bands or performers
o Preparation of all video needs, including announcement videos used during worship
o Planning of seasonal or special worship celebrations
o Preparation of all indoor and outdoor worship spaces to reflect the spirit of the event
o All Other Music Ministries developed at DUMC, including but not limited to arts, drama, dance, etc.
· Develop and Manage all areas of digital ministry which includes the a separate digital ministry worship, its recording and dissemination. Also, oversee the livestreaming of the regular worship services.
· Volunteer Management - Recruit, schedule, rehearse, lead, and support volunteers for this ministry; including, but not limited to: musicians, vocalists, technology support, etc.
o Provide music sheets/charts and arrangements for rehearsals and services
o For the technology team, provide the lyrics and other projection material
o Lead, mentor, train, and empower volunteers to be worship leaders through band participation and audio/visual tasks
o Encourage, coach, support, and affirm members through a spirit of fellowship
· Collaborate with all staff (Worship, Family Ministry, Discovery Days, etc.) to accomplish departmental and church-wide goals, especially as it relates to church events, worship service participation, retreats, etc.
· Provide worship support and leadership for other areas of the church as needed (e.g., Discovery Days, Family Ministry, Vacation Bible School, other ministry programs)
· Pursue opportunities to use music and worship as a vehicle for ministries beyond our church walls (e.g., Discovery on Tap – worship band plays at local brewery, members attend as community outreach)
· Communicate regularly with Pastor, Lay Leader, Finance Chair and the Staff-Parish Relations Comittee Chairperson regarding scheduling, budgeting and logistical needs
· Attend weekly staff meetings as scheduled and weekly worship planning meetings
· Secure worship leader substitute when absent
· Pray daily for this church, the church of Jesus Christ, its people, its needs, and its faithfulness
Discovery Days and Family Ministry Responsibilities
· Minister to, encourage, shepherd and care for Discovery Days youth with weekly worship, encouraging their spiritual development and lead them to a life of Christian discipleship
· Assist, as needed, in the creative planning, development, and implementation of Family Ministry programs as needed as these grow and mature
o Integrate these programs, as appropriate, in the DUMC worship services
o Recruit and lead, mentor, train, and empower family volunteers to be worship leaders through music and worship participation and audio/visual tasks
· Attend weekly Worship/Discovery Days/Family Ministry planning meetings as requested
· Adheres to Safe Sanctuary guidelines regarding ministry with children and vulnerable adults.
Finance and Administrative Responsibilities
· Develop, manage, and implement worship & production budget for assigned areas in cooperation with the Pastor, Discovery Days Director and Director of Finance; effectively managing financials
· Collaborate across all groups to ensure the coordination of time and space scheduling for worship, rehearsals, events, etc.
· Work with all DUMC administrative teams (e.g., Finance, SPRC, Facilities, Communications, etc.) as required
· Be aware of and properly implement any legal requirements regarding audio or visual licensing
· Maintain a constant program of self-improvement; staying current with worship trends and song availability in the music ministry
· Provide music leadership for DUMC staff meetings and other staff events as requested
· Work with other various teams and ministries to maintain a current database of worship songs and lyrics in a chosen software program
· Organize and maintain all audio visual equipment and computers for worship services and events
· Schedule and secure payment for all contract musicians, software, etc.
· Support the ministries of DUMC and be an active participant in worship and other ministry opportunities
Competencies and Basic Covenants
· Be a passionate leader with a love for God and a heart for people
· Understand spiritual components of worship leadership guided by United Methodist (Wesleyan) worship traditions and theology
· Exhibit an ability to listen objectively and communicate with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
· Ability in a wide range of musical styles including Christian classics (such as hymns), but especially, in varieties of contemporary worship
· Provide musical leadership to volunteers and professional musicians
· Piano/keyboard or guitar proficiency required
· Creative thinker with strong leadership and organizational skills
· Ability to recruit, train, delegate, appreciate, and retain volunteers
· Patience working with youth and volunteers who might be less experienced musically
· Understanding of basic finance and budgeting processes
· Effective written and verbal communication skills
· Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks and duties with a positive attitude
· Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
· Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
· Coordination and collaboration to enhance communication with lay volunteers to ensure church information, notifications, articles etc. are updated and communicated to the congregation.
Skills and Equipment Knowledge
Able to setup, run, and maintain equipment used during worship services (e.g., mics, amplifiers, sound boards, computers, stage lighting, video recording & editing)
Proficient with ProPresenter and Planning Center software
Proficient with basic AV hardware (sound, mix, video) for Ministry responsibilities
Competent in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technologies with ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in music-related field required
Three-to-five years of worship and praise band leadership experience required
Understanding of Wesleyan theology and Methodism strongly preferred
Experience with playing multiple instruments and singing lead vocals
While this position does not have direct reports, it does coach and mentor a volunteer-driven ministry of musicians, vocalists, contract employees, technology team, etc.
Expected Hours of Work & Travel
Days and hours of work are Sunday – Thursday. Position requires additional hours during certain projects. Evening and weekend work required for special events and worship services. Some weekend travel may be necessary for special trips.
To apply for this job, please click here https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/3256