Associate Pastor at Discovery Christian Church
About the job
Position: Associate Pastor (AP)
- Full-time, salaried with benefits. Salary ($60k)
- Housing Allowance with Ordination (Discovery will provide a 3 month ordination plan/experience as part of the APs orientation to Discovery if not already ordained)
- Benefits package to include: participation in Discovery’s health care plan, 20 days of vacation per year (30 day cap, with 10 day roll over), and 7 personal development days. Eligibility for Sabbatical after 7 years of continuous employment. (Benefits: ~$14k)
- Total compensation: $74k
- Hours/Work Week: 40-45 hours per week
- Sunday-Thursday schedule with some Saturday responsibilities
- Weekly staff meeting
- Weekly BIG Idea Creative meeting
- Monthly Leadership Community (~8x/year)
- Structure for weeks depends on season/teams/needs
- Reports to: Lead Pastor, Elder Team
Discovery Christian Church is a mission-driven church in Davis, CA that exists to help people discover (and recover) the good news of Jesus. Specifically, we desire to be a church for Prodigals and Nomads (see this study by Barna), inviting them into the adventure of following Jesus together.
To that end, we seek an Associate Pastor (male or female) who is excited to creatively explore new ways of being and doing church. The AP will wear multiple hats, but most often will be in the position of coach. We believe we are better together and one way we live that out is in team-based ministry. Healthy teams need healthy leaders!
Potential teams the AP could assume leadership of include:
- Set-Up and Tear-Down and Hospitality (for Sunday morning Gatherings)
- The Street Team (Community Outreach and Justice Initiatives)
- Mid-Sized Communities (Our model for group life is what we call Mid-Sized Communities. This is where the nitty-gritty reality of discipleship and mission gets worked out. The AP will be trained in the MSC model and equipped to lead an MSC and coach other MSC leaders)
- Deacon Team (Deacons are tasked with helping Discovery set strategy and goals, and then achieve those goals that help us achieve the larger missions)
- Potentially a Campus Team (a team to help us reach college students)
[Specific team leadership is negotiable and flexible based on the candidates passions and strengths]
Other responsibilities will include: helping craft Sunday Gathering experiences, Teaching (if gifted in this area), Announcements and Communication, and Leadership Training for specific teams and our Leadership Community as a whole.
The dream is for the AP to take on these responsibilities with humility and passion and grow into a co-pastoring role with the lead pastor. We also hope to plant more churches; the AP could grow into a church planter/campus pastor position as well.
- Previous experience in ministry, especially in team settings and team leadership (starting, building, and leading teams)
- A love for Davis and the people of Davis (Davis can be a hard place to love, but we desire to be a LOCAL church and so we want our love to be incarnated in this place, for these people. Part of this means navigating the intersection of college students and longer term residents).
- Alignment with Discovery’s values/mission
- Completion of the APEST leadership gifting profile
- Understanding/Working Knowledge of: Planning Center Online, Google Drive Apps
- Seminary preferred, but not required
- Clear background check
If interested please send application materials: Resume, References, and a teaching sample (if applicable), to email@example.com by August 15th, 2021