About the job
POSITION: Worship Leader
CATEGORY: Part time (15 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Pastor
PURPOSE: To lead the people of God in worship through effective participation and leadership in Crossroads’ worship service.
- Lead musical worship each Sunday at 9:30am; arrange for weekly worship leaders as needed.
- Lead in periodic special worship services (Easter week, Christmas, memorial services).
- Regular meetings with the Pastor to discuss worship and upcoming sermon series.
- Organize band members and vocalists, planning at least two weeks ahead.
Personally confirm with band members that they will be there.
- Introduce new music regularly, including teaching the band and congregation. Ensure new music is in a “singable” key for worship teams and the congregation, arranging or transposing music when needed.
- Incorporate the arts in worship when appropriate and helpful for the congregation.
- Use Planning Center to provide weekly order of worship and music selections to the church office and worship team at least two weeks prior to each worship service.
- Prepare and review lyrics for MediaShout presentations each week to ensure each song is entered in the order it will be sung. This may include meeting with projectionists before Sunday rehearsal to prepare and confirm their preparation for the songs, repetitions, transitions, etc.
- Prepare music weekly for vocalists and instrumentalists and communicate songs with them during the week.
Leading the Band
- Recruit, organize and schedule the Praise Teams/bands. Includes balancing voices, personalities and gifts of worship leadership for each weekly service.
- Recruit and develop young musicians; incorporate them into participation in worship
- Lead weekly Sunday morning rehearsal or appoint someone to take responsibility for team leadership and worship flow. (Readers, directions to congregation, etc.)
- Oversee rehearsals as needed, including leading the opening with devotions and group prayers in order to shape a worshipful community within which the rehearsal is done.
- Provide regular opportunities for training, workshops and/or rehearsals for musicians, equipping them to lead worship effectively.
Leading the Worship Planning Team
- Lead the Worship Planning Team by organizing team meetings (12-14 times per year), setting agendas, and delegating tasks to team members.
- Promote a sense of team responsibility for ministry goals and completion of tasks.
- Recruit new Worship Planning Team and Music Planning Team members, with a variety of worship styles in mind
Characteristics and Requirements
- A deep love and commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- A passion for worship and the people of God, and the ability to lead the congregation in worship
- An understanding of and appreciation for the Reformed theological tradition and particularly how that guides our worship
- A gift of musical ability (flexible as to the form it takes: piano, guitar, etc.)
- The ability to lead a group of musicians to glorify God and bless God’s people as they lead worship through Christian worship music
- A working understanding of music theory and experience with creating music arrangements
- An ability and desire to connect with a multi-generational congregation
- Commitment to the mission, vision and core values of Crossroads CRC.
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to interact collegially with others in the church (pastor, elders, deacons, fellow members) about the nature and aspects of worship
- $20 per hour. No other financial benefits.
How to Apply
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org