Communications Manager at Congo Initiative
About the job
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: Congo Initiative is an envisioned community of Congolese leaders and global partners united for the transformation of lives and a flourishing Democratic Republic of Congo. Empowered by this vision, Congo Initiative educates ethical leaders who have integrity; invests in a sustainable vibrant Congolese society; and develops grassroots initiatives for peace, hope, and justice.
Our catalyst of change – Congo Initiative - Université Chrétienne Bilingue du Congo (CI-UCBC) – is at the heart of all we do. Launched in 2007, CI-UCBC is a four-year university equipping changemakers and modeling transformation by holistically renewing communities and promoting systemic justice. We are a highly collaborative, multicultural, faith-motivated organization committed to human flourishing in Congo.
THE ROLE: The Communications Manager (CM) will provide critical capacity to Congo Initiative’s US-based work, which is centered on cultivating networks throughout the United States for financial and other support to advance our mission. Interfacing with CI leadership, donors, partners, volunteers, and a wider network, the CM will enable CI-USA to make significant advances in its communications outputs and resource development. The CM will be responsible for designing and implementing innovative marketing strategies that drive awareness about our programs and their impact. While working closely with CI-USA’s Executive Director and Board, the CM will have a balanced blend of strategic thinking and hands-on ability to implement marketing campaigns across multiple channels while providing communications support to cross-functional teams. This is a multifaceted position, requiring someone who is able to multitask extremely well. The CM will be an excellent communicator, a confident self-starter, creative thinker, and a diligent administrator. This is a full-time position and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Design, lead, develop, and implement an integrated communications strategy.
- Make recommendations and continuously refine marketing activities to reach desired outcomes (including email, PR, social, webinars, content, direct mail etc.)
- Produce creative content and impactful marketing materials (e.g., blogs. webinars, presentations, newsletters, content marketing, video, etc.)
- Design and execute persuasive appeals and marketing campaigns and monitor results.
- Maintain our communications tools and online platform (i.e. social media, Salsa Engage).
- Coordinate relationships with MarComm vendors and our global partners.
- Develop success stories and case studies and package them into shareable content.
- Ensure consistency of brand and messaging across plans.
- Contribute as a key member of cross-functional teams.
- Oversee and manage CI’s website, including adding and updating content, collaborating with developers, troubleshooting problems, and making recommendations for improvements.
- Curate and manage CI’s marketing assets (video, photographs, and stories).
- Manage and maintain CI’s editorial calendar.
- Measure the effectiveness of communications efforts, establish benchmarks and use analytics to inform decisions.
- Collaborate with the CI-UCBC team in Congo to collect content for storytelling and marketing materials.
- A passion and commitment to CI’s vision and mission.
- 5+ years of experience creating and managing communications/marketing programs.
- BA/BS or equivalent work experience.
- Strong understanding and experience with multiple demand channels and pipeline development, including print, digital, events, and email marketing.
- Excellent written and oral communication, including confidence in representing CI to a wide range of constituents through various communications channels.
- Demonstrated competence in following basic graphic design and layout principles.
- Experience working across functions to achieve a shared objective (e.g., programs, “product” marketing, donor satisfaction, analysis, operations).
- Experience producing creative content and working with designers to distill complex ideas into actionable content.
- Familiarity and experience with online engagement tools and digital communications, including websites and social media platforms (e.g., LinkedIn, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
- Fundraising and/or communication experience, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Ability to work effectively and exercise leadership in a remote, team environment.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
START DATE: July 2022
SALARY RANGE:: $50,000 - $60,000
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week. You are requested to work the majority of your hours during standard business hours (approximately 8am-5pm EST), as this is optimal for joining meetings, conference calls, and performing the duties of your position in a manner that is most convenient for being available to both internal and external constituents.
WORK LOCATION: REMOTE (within the U.S.)
HEALTH ALLOWANCE: Cl-USA does not offer an employer-sponsored health insurance benefit at this time. However, Cl-USA can provide you with a health allowance under the Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) regulations. This allowance functions as a reimbursement to you for any qualified out-of-pocket medical expenses, including health insurance premiums, up to specific IRS-approved limits, depending on whether you have single or family coverage. This benefit is effective on your first day of employment.
VACATION LEAVE: After three months of employment, you will be eligible for 15 days of vacation leave annually. Vacation leave does not carry over from one year to the next, and therefore must all be used within a given calendar year. An increase in vacation time will be considered after four years of employment.
SICK LEAVE: You will receive 10 days of sick leave effective with your first day of employment, and then seven additional days every January 1. Sick leave can accrue from one year to the next, up to a maximum of 90 days.
RETIREMENT BENEFITS: After you have completed one year of employment, Cl-USA will contribute 3% of your gross earnings to a Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) IRA retirement account in your name. This account will be held with Edward Jones Investment Services. The SEP plan does not allow for employee paycheck deferral contributions.