About the job
CityTeam is a Christian non-profit dedicated to supporting communities by meeting immediate needs and enabling lasting solutions for those struggling with poverty, homelessness, and addiction. Being part of CityTeam is not just a career but also a calling. Whether we’re working on the front lines in Programs or working behind the scenes in Support Services, we feel privileged to use our education, experience, and gifts to love people and bring glory to God.
Camp MayMac is a year-round conference facility located in the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains. We are looking for a Lead Cook to join our hospitality-oriented team. We love God and desire to serve Him by serving our guests. The ideal candidate will be a mature Christ-follower, have a heart for service, and enjoy working in a camp setting.
The Lead Cook will create meals and menus that appeal to our guests and that demonstrate our dedication to high standards. This individual will work with the Executive Director and the Guest Services Supervisor to plan and budget for all aspects of food service. The Lead Cook will supervise and train our kitchen staff and volunteers as they prepare and serve food for our guests. Food Service is an environment that requires flexibility and stamina and the Lead Cook will be called upon to promote an encouraging, service-oriented atmosphere. In addition to working cooperatively with others, the Lead Cook will need to be able to work independently, always keeping safety a top priority.
The Lead Cook is 30+ part-time hour per week non-exempt position wrapped up in a Christian environment that values Teamwork, Accountability, Humility, Innovation, and Joy.
1. Maintain high standards of guest service and food quality during high volume, fast paced operations.
2. Maintain a safe, orderly, and efficient environment in all food service areas.
3. Create delicious and appealing meals and menus.
4. Train and direct all kitchen staff in food service operations including food preparation, serving, clean up and sanitation.
5. Model and inspire a positive example with all staff and volunteers.
6. Initiate corrective actions with staff as needed; involve Executive Director as necessary.
7. Manage Dining Room set up in collaboration with Guest Services Supervisor.
8. Inform Executive Director of any equipment or facility repair needs.
9. Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
10. The Lead Cook will participate in a weekly Discovery Bible Study.
1. Plan and review menus with Executive Director.
2. Plan menus according to budget and guest specifications, including age, ethnicity, and dietary restrictions.
Ordering, Receiving, & Storage of Food
1. Manage food orders, inventory tracking and deliveries.
2. Order all food and supplies in a timely manner.
3. Submit all purchase orders and invoices to the Accounts Payable on a weekly basis.
4. Receive orders and verify items personally, or assign to another staff person.
5. Maintain stock in a neat and organized manner and ensure food is stored in accordance with California Health and Safety Code.
6. Rotate stock regularly.
Food Preparation, Service, & Cleaning
1. Carry out all facets of food preparation and service in accordance with California Health and Safety Code.
2. Ensure foods are held at temperatures mandated by California Health and Safety Code during all aspects of food storage, preparation and service.
3. Ensure that all food service facilities are maintained, cleaned and sanitized in accordance with the requirements of the California Health and Safety Code.
1. Operate within budget provided by Executive Director.
2. Make recommendations and receive advance approval from Executive Director for all equipment or food purchases beyond normal expenditures.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Stand for prolonged amounts of time
• Walk, bend, twist, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch
• Push 100 pounds
• Lift and carry 75 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
• Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
• Must be able to read and follow standard recipes
• Must be able to hear and follow oral directions
• Must be able to work cooperatively and safely
Required Education and Experience
• Must have successfully passed an approved and accredited Food Safety Certification examination, such as ServSafe or Prometric Food Manager Certification. Certification must be currently valid.
• Minimum 2-years cooking experience in professional kitchen
• Supervisory experience and collaboration skills
• Customer service/client focus
• High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Education and Experience
• Culinary school
• College coursework
• This job operates in a professional kitchen; including equipment such as ovens, grills, stoves, dishwasher, slicer, steamer, mixer, and chef’s knives.
• The employee is frequently exposed to cold, heat, steam, fire, noise, wet, slippery floors or surfaces, and chemicals commonly found in Food Service Facilities.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for CityTeam Ministries
• Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
• Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
• Must have compatible theology on major issues of CityTeam's Statement of Faith
• Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ