About the job
Church of the Apostles
Director of Worship Arts
Job Title: Director of Worship Arts
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Position Status: Full Time
The primary responsibilities and desired attributes for the Director of Worship Arts include:
- Studies the week’s Scripture text and prayerfully selects music to coincide with the text and preaching.
- Understands and values Anglican theology and liturgy, and the significance of the liturgical calendar, factoring seasons of the church year into planning.
- Plans weekly worship services with the senior pastor and staff, and looks for ways to support and reinforce the preaching text and main idea or theme each week.
- Guides the congregation through prayer and liturgical elements during our singing in worship, embedding elements like responsive Psalms and prayers into songs.
- Identifies and introduces new music that is theologically sound and fits the culture/ethos of Church of the Apostles.
- Values the work of the Holy Spirit and can respond to the prompting of the Holy Spirit during times of worship.
- Possesses an instinctual passion for leading the congregation in energetic, anthemic songs alongside a passion for leveraging historic liturgical forms to assemble creative and compelling expressions of worship.
- Imagines both the dynamic presence of the Spirit in the context of sung worship and the regular, prescribed Liturgy of the Table as equally important mediums through which we encounter God.
- Understands and casts a spiritual/theological vision for our worship so that musicians and anyone who helps in worship can understand the aim of our worship.
- Leads the worship band in weekly practice/rehearsals that includes some teaching and instruction on worship, building community together, and prayer.
Recruits and equips new team members. Shepherds and disciples members of the Worship Team, and seeks to build community among them.
- Raises up and develops new worship music leaders who can grow in their gifts and abilities to lead in contexts such as youth service, special worship events, conferences/retreats, as occasional substitutes and as future leaders of worship in other churches.
- Coordinates teams to lead special mid-week worship services and other events such as seminars, retreats or outreach events.
- Understands and takes responsibility for sound and video systems.
- Ability to direct vocalists in learning melody and harmonies, and to direct band members.
- Able to assemble band members with complementary abilities and instrumentation.
- Ability to read music and provide arrangements for a variety of instruments.
- Knowledge of and ability to play multiple instruments.
The expectation for the Director of Worship Arts is that the above responsibilities will require about 75% of the working hours for the position. The remaining time will include coordination and implementation of an additional church ministry, which will be based on personal gifting and passions, along with what is needed in the church.
These areas of other responsibility will be determined together with the senior pastor.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, please provide short (less than 300 word) responses to the following questions: