About the job
Church of Southland Background:
Church of Southland (“COS”), a member of Acts Ministries International, is based in Anaheim, California, serving the greater Southern California community for over 20 years. Our vision is to join God in His global redemptive work by serving this generation by the power of the Holy Spirit. Our three core values are: we are Word-based and Holy Spirit-driven; we are focused on evangelism and missions; and we believe that every believer is a minister.
- Sunday weekly attendees across 3 services: 1,100 adults and close to 500 children.
- 120 small groups meeting weekly (“Cell Church”); each small group consists of 5 - 8 people on average.
- 30 church staff, 10 elders, and 120 deacons.
Job Title: SENIOR PASTOR/HEAD OF STAFF/CHAIRPERSON OF ELDER BOARD
The Senior Pastor will:
- Provide primary leadership for the Church of Southland (COS).
- Affirm without exception or reservation the Vision, Core Values, and Statement of Faith as stated here: https://churchofsouthland.com/what-we-believe. (biblically word based; belief in present day working of the Holy Spirit.; mission and church planting focused)
- Be a visionary leader, equipping the church and its people to fulfill the Great Commission and to live out COS’ commitment to be a missionary for Jesus Christ to the world.
- Identify, equip, and encourage leaders in COS’ congregation.
- Acknowledge that their work is enabled by the Holy Spirit, supported by prayer, guided by Scripture, and carried out in the name of Jesus Christ for the glory of God the Father.
- As the Chairperson of the Elder Board and as an overseer/shepherd, the Senior Pastor will provide Biblical direction and leadership so that members are built-up in faith and maturity to become more like Christ. The Senior Pastor leads the Elder Board and builds consensus.
- Collaborate and plan as a member pastor of Acts Ministries International (AMI). The Senior Pastor is accountable and submits to the AMI Leadership team. As a servant leader, work with AMI pastors and the AMI community of churches, representing COS. For more information visit: http://amichurches.com/.
- Desires to live and serve long-term in the Southern California area and minister at COS.
- Loves the Lord, our God, with all of their heart, soul, mind, and strength and be a follower of Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
- Loves the Church and its people.
- Is a faithful disciple of Jesus Christ with well-established patterns of personal prayer and Bible study.
- Strong, disciplined, and effective prayer life.
- Live a life above reproach in spiritual maturity, honesty, integrity, and personal holiness in accordance with the biblical Scripture.
- Displays a passion for studying, learning, teaching, and preaching God’s word to build up Christ’s body.
- Shares the Gospel regularly while encouraging and equipping others to do the same.
- Committed to discipleship, desiring that believers continually mature in their relationship with Christ.
- Has strong gifts of leadership, teaching, and administration.
- Relates well to others - truly enjoys and connects well with people.
- Teachable heart, humble attitude, flexible, and adaptable.
- Provides visionary leadership for COS’ interaction with the community and the world.
- Directs, leads, encourages, and equips pastoral staff, ministry leads, Deacons, Zone and Cell Leaders.
- Functions as lead preaching/teaching pastor who dynamically communicates the Word of God through expository preaching and practical application.
- Presents God’s word to provide spiritual growth and direction for COS members and attendees, in both the pulpit and classroom.
- Responsible for public worship services.
- Leads the Elder Board and is accountable to AMI.
- Leads staff meetings and shepherds the staff, provides servant leadership training and models collaborative team-building skills.
- Leads, organizes, and develops the ministries of COS.
Skills & Experience:
- Must be ordained pastor for 10 to 15 years with a minimum of 5+ years as a Senior Pastor who has demonstrated faithfulness in pastoral leadership.
Missions related experience preferred.
- Experience to faithfully shepherd a large congregation with biblically-rooted, holy spirit anointed transformational messages. Proven preaching/teaching ability is a requirement. The candidate must have video/online samples available for review.
- Proven disciple-maker who has created and nurtured a culture of discipleship.
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- A Masters of Divinity (M.Div.) degree from an accredited seminary.