About the job
Job Requirements and Profile
Christ the King Church, Durham, NC
SECTION 1: ABOUT US
Christ the King Church (CTK) is a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). We are a growing, diverse community of adults, youth, and children with a clear and joyful purpose - fulfilling Christ's vision for His people. We are people committed to loving Christ, living out the Scriptures, discovering and using our spiritual gifts, and making disciples.
CTK is located in the Research Triangle area, which is comprised of Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill. This rapidly growing area is home to multiple major universities (Duke, UNC, NC State, and NC Central) and industries in technology and healthcare. CTK began meeting in our suburban location in southwest Durham in 1989. We are committed to being a welcoming environment to everyone for the sake of the gospel. Our worship is characterized by orthodox scriptural teaching, a blend of contemporary and traditional music, and corporate prayer. Our current average attendance for in-person and livestream worship is around 130-140, made up of people of all ages.
PURPOSE STATEMENT of Christ the King Church
The congregation of Christ the King exists to give glory to our Savior Jesus Christ, the Lord and Head of the Church, in every aspect of life and ministry. We affirm the supreme authority and divine inspiration of the Word of God. By His grace and through the power of the Holy Spirit, we honor and serve the Lord through:
- Celebration and adoration in worship
- Authentic Christian community
- Building each other up towards maturity through biblical discipleship
- Leading all people to Jesus Christ through mission and evangelism
For more information about what we believe and our core values, please visit our website at CTKHome.org.
SECTION 2: ABOUT THE YOUTH PASTOR ROLE
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Our Youth Pastor will join our Senior Pastor and our Director of Children’s Ministries to form a team to serve our congregation in a variety of ways. The primary purpose of this role is teaching, counseling, and discipling our youth. In addition, this role will also contribute to one or more of the other ministries of our church. These additional responsibilities can be tailored to the specific gifts and interests of the candidate.
This is a critical role in the life of our growing church and it will require a personable, motivated and organized individual to help continue to grow the church both in size and depth. The ideal candidate should be highly competent, proactive, creative and excellent with people. They also need to be excited by the vision and mission of CTK, about serving in a growing and dynamic ministry environment, and about outreach ministries to our community.
SUMMARY OF PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leadership of the middle school and high school Youth Ministry program at CTK which includes but is not limited to:
- Engage in evangelism and discipleship of youth
- Coordinate and lead weekly youth education including a youth curriculum plan for a balanced comprehensive Christian education
- Coordinate and implement an annual youth ministry budget proposal, and administer that budget as approved by the Finance Committee and Session (Board of Elders)
- Recruit, disciple, train, and motivate adults to serve in youth ministry
- Coordinate and lead events, activities, mission trips, and camps outside of weekly meetings
- Network with other evangelical youth leaders in the community to support youth in starting and strengthening school campus ministries
- Assist in leadership and care of the congregation, which includes but not limited to:
- Participate in planning and leading impactful outreach events, service projects, mission trips, and evangelism efforts
- Participate in providing spiritual care and guidance of youth and congregants as needed
- Participate with the Senior Pastor in staff management, training and vision casting
- The ideal candidate will have the ability and desire to preach occasionally
SUMMARY OF ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to youth ministry, this role will spend roughly one-third of their hours contributing to other ministries of the church. This can be tailored to the candidate’s particular gifts and interests, but likely possibilities include:
- Worship and music ministry: coordinating and leading the worship team on Sunday mornings (this is highly preferred, and candidates with this skill set will be given special consideration)
- Preaching: sharing preaching duties with the Senior Pastor (frequency to be determined)
- Community outreach: developing our evangelism and service efforts in our local community
- College and young adult ministry: developing our outreach, discipleship, and fellowship with this age group
- Technology and media: developing our capabilities with livestreaming, video production, graphics, and sound board
- Evident relationship with Jesus Christ
- Minimum two years of part-time or full-time ministry in a congregational setting
- Practical experience leading youth programs. This includes a proficient understanding of challenges and needs of young people, specifically middle school and high school aged youth
- A genuine desire to encourage students and CTK members in their walk with Jesus Christ, and support them to develop their love for Him and others
- Must understand, support, and protect CTK's mission, values, and culture; i.e., commitment to small groups and missions; acceptance of both contemporary and traditional worship styles and music
- Must have an encouraging, positive attitude, excellent oral and written communication skills, solid organizational skills, and be a “go-to” leader; i.e., a heart for ministry with strong relational skills; creativity; an ability to motivate others, and counsel/provide guidance to congregants and staff
- Excellent computer skills, and proficiency with social media
- Available to work extended hours, evenings, over weekends and public holidays, and on short notice, as needed
- Some theological training required; graduate degree preferred
- Ability to lead worship team on Sunday mornings is highly preferred
SECTION 3: CTK TEAM MINISTRY APPROACH
The staff at CTK Church consists of a Senior Pastor, Youth Pastor, Director of Children’s Ministries, and Office Manager. They are accountable to the CTK Church Session (Board of Elders). The Senior Pastor has the authority from the Session to supervise the staff. There is also an Elder who serves as a human resource advocate for all staff members.
While the Senior Pastor supervises the Youth Pastor, the operational style of the staff is more accurately described as collegial rather than hierarchical. Major staff decisions are normally made through consultation and consensus, and with the guidance of the Session.
At CTK, some areas of pastoral ministry are shared by all CTK staff members as needed, such as hospital visitation, crisis response, worship leadership and general care for the congregation.
Specific additional duties and areas of ministry will be determined in consultation with the Senior Pastor, according to the changing needs of the congregation and the interests, gifts, and abilities of each staff member.
The Youth Pastor will lead and train the volunteer staff team who work with the youth. The Youth Pastor may, at the request of the Session, be invited to participate in Session meetings on occasion or regularly (i.e., monthly). Apart from these two leadership teams, the Youth Pastor is not required to serve on a committee or ministry team. The Youth Pastor will be encouraged to participate in one of the CTK small groups for personal spiritual growth and fellowship but does not have to lead the g