Children’s Ministry Director at Chinese Bible Church of Maryland
About the job
The Children’s Ministry (CM) Director is a full-time ministry position under the supervision of the Senior Pastor. The CM Director is responsible for all children’s programs from newborn to 5th grade at both campuses of CBCM; the needs of these programs and how they are run differ between the two campuses. The CM Director is responsible for defining and sharing the CM’s vision with parents, volunteers, staff, and other leaders.
CBCM was formed in 1976 and currently numbers approximately 1,000 adults, 80 teens, and 120 children. CBCM has two campuses with multiple language groups:
- Rockville campus: Mandarin, Cantonese, and English congregations
- Gaithersburg campus: Mandarin and English congregations
1. Lead all children’s programs at CBCM from newborn to 5th grade. This includes Nursery, Children’s Worship, Children’s Sunday School, Rock Kids (multi-cultural service), Awana, Children’s Choir, and Vacation Bible School.
2. Recruit (ensuring background checks are completed), train and schedule CM coworkers such as teachers, volunteers, and coordinators.
3. Develop and train leaders within the CM (including CM deacons).
4. Teach children’s classes, adult Sunday School classes, and new teacher training.
5. Cultivate open communication and good relationships with children, volunteers, parents, and staff.
6. Meet with families as needed to provide care, support, and guidance and help parents understand their role in developing the spiritual life of their children.
7. Welcome new families and keep a database of ministry families and volunteers.
8. Prepare the annual budget and monitor departmental expenses.
9. Select/evaluate curriculum and teaching materials in all CM ministries.
10. Keep updated on the latest materials, methods, practices, and legal issues related to children’s ministry by attending conferences and classes.
11. Work closely with the Youth Director/Pastor to transition children from the Children’s Ministry to the Youth Ministry when they enter 6th grade.
12. Participate in church functions such as worship, cell group, prayer meetings, etc.
13. Attend the Board of Deacons meetings.
14. Perform other duties as requested by the supervisor.
1. A mature believer with an authentic and growing walk with Christ.
2. At least three years of children’s ministry experience in a leadership position as a volunteer or paid church staff.
3. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university (a seminary degree or a bachelor’s degree in a related field would be a plus).
4. A calling to work in children’s ministry in a predominantly Chinese church.
5. Proven ability to recruit, develop and retain volunteers and develop leaders.
6. Has a working knowledge of social media and current technologies involving children, education, and safety.
7. Humble servant attitude. Team player – Ability to work with children, coworkers, parents, deacons, pastors, elders, and staff.
8. Above reproach in Christian life and conduct.
9. Strong administrative and organizational skills; able to multitask effectively.
10. Effective writing and communication skills.
11. Fluency in English is required; the ability to also converse effectively in Mandarin is a plus but not required.
12. Must agree with all the tenets of the CBCM statement of faith.