Associate Minister of Worship Arts at Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church
Honolulu, Hawai'i 96821
About the job
Associate Minister of Worship Arts (Full-time)
Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church Honolulu, Hawaii
About us: Aloha! Calvary by the Sea is responding to our changing world with God’s unchanging love and grace. We truly welcome all people and celebrate God’s diversity of humanity in the world. Our oceanfront sanctuary blesses many locally and globally. We care for the hungry and vulnerable, housing one of the largest food banks (Angel Network Charities) in Oahu. We serve our local families through equitable early (preschool) child education. And strive to embody our values below.
*Inclusive – As a Reconciling in Christ Congregation, we continue to acknowledge that LGBTQIA+ discrimination occurs inside and outside the church. Therefore, we advocate for the full welcome, inclusion, equity and celebration of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions. Amen for the diversity of God’s people! And as an Ecumenical Congregation we strive for unity across various faith traditions and denominations. Our theological differences don’t divide us, rather they help us learn from one another.
*Intentional – As a Learning Congregation we seek out education as a source of spiritual formation and social action. Our ministries and programs across all ages aim to deliberately serve and care for all creation. And as a congregation seeking Racial Reconciliation, we continue to acknowledge the lifelong process of unpacking, processing, and rejecting the sin of white supremacy embedded within our congregation, our society, and the American Christian Church. We lament that Black, Brown, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native Hawaiian, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) continue to pay the price of systemic racism with their lives. We pray for the image of God to be the common identity that unites us and heals us, pointing us toward justice and wholeness.
*Involved – As a Serving Congregation and as our sanctuary entrance states, “Beyond these doors your service begins,” so we aim to be actively involved in the stewardship of all creation. Serving our island through feeding the hungry, engaging local/global social equity and caring for the aina (the land) and all living things. And by offering equitable early childhood education for our neighbors.
About the Position: Come join God’s work in Honolulu, Hawaii! We are in a season of spiritual and numerical growth through the Holy Trinitarian flow. Our congregation is being called into a season of healing and reconciliation, come join us and be part of a diverse and ecumenical ministry team doing good work!
CBTS is so blessed to be calling a full-time Associate Minister of Worship Arts. The primary role and purpose of this position is to partner with the Senior Pastor and the ministry team to grow, shepherd, and lead the ministry, programs, and congregation of CBTS, while giving priority to worship arts ministries. In addition, the Associate Minister will choose an additional ministry area of concentration to best utilize their gifts and passions to share Christ’s love and grace. This position will be a full partner of our mission and be called to pastoral duties at CBTS including preaching, visitation, congregational care, parish administration, teaching, and relationship building. The administration of the sacraments upon ordination with the ELCA or as approved by the Pacifica Synod Bishop.
• Have a firm and inclusive theological grasp of the teachings of Jesus
• Be committed to the mission and seek to embody the values of Calvary by the Sea
• Build relationships with congregants, members and community partners
• Enhance the music, audio, live streaming, social media, and design of weekly worship services
• Recruit volunteers to serve within worship arts ministries
About the Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to lead God’s people in corporate worship by creating a space that invites attenders to both hear from and respond to God in prayer and praise. This leader will oversee the integration of music, audio/tech, live streaming, and visual arts for our worship services. In collaboration with the Senior Pastor, this individual will select, prepare, and lead worship for Sunday worship and other special worship services throughout the year. Leading a group of talented and professional musicians on staff. In addition, the called minister will lead, and conduct the adult church choir including selecting music with the accompanist, sharing music with choir members, and leading monthly rehearsals.
The heart of this role is to facilitate an atmosphere in which the Trinitarian God is worshipped and glorified, to provide direction, oversight, and coordination of musical and creative elements for worship services. The Associate Minister of Worship Arts will serve as primary administrator of the music and worship arts ministry of the church. Developing, recruiting, leading, and rehearsing a worship band, while maintaining a calendar of musicians, singers, and special music. Be a program builder and creativity build-up a volunteer base, while including other paid staff members and musicians. Oversee weekly Sunday bulletin and worship/liturgy flow creation and formatting is fundamental to this role along with the Senior Pastor's direction. This individual needs to have the ability to provide a variety of musical genres, ranging from classical, jazz, gospel, reggae, Latin jazz, traditional hymns, and modern Christian worship songs. Experience with Hawaiian or other language than English music will be beneficial.
• In collaboration with the Senior Pastor, plan and implement worship arts ministry including all worship experiences and music programs sponsored by the church
• Schedule and facilitate weekly worship band rehearsals
• Send out music ahead of time using CCLI song select, Sundays and Seasons, and other music/worship programs
• Oversee and provide direction to the audio/tech team for live audio and live streaming
• Schedule and conduct monthly choir rehearsals and performances
• Routinely recruit qualified members and candidates for band, vocals and choir
• Hire, retain and engage existing musicians and develop new music ministry relationships
• Work in partnership with the Senior Pastor to formulate and develop an annual music budget
• Use the worship arts ministry to unite children, youth, and adults, helping integrate new and long time members/attenders
• Lead weekly worship with dynamic vitality and spirituality, engaging attenders/members to encounter the divine through music
• Ability to play an instrument/s and sing proficiently is a vital component of this role
• Develop authentic relationships with members and supporters of the congregation by being accessible and visible in the life of the congregation
• Work in close collaboration with the Senior Pastor and ministry team for the overall vision of the church, participating in events and activities which create a sense of welcome and community
• Seek to integrate visitors and new members into ministry at CBTS and involve existing members and their gifts into the music program
PRIMARY ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES:
Prepare, administer, and manage an annual budget to advance each ministry area
Maintain regularly scheduled office hours for availability and collegiality
Notify Senior Pastor prior to vacation time, days off or any unforeseen and untimely absences from regularly scheduled experiences and gatherings and provide a suitable substitute in the case of anticipated absence
Complete and submit a monthly written report for the Congregational Council and an annual written report for the Annual Congregational Meeting
Attend weekly ministry team meetings
Inform congregation of worship arts activities/events using (social media, emails, announcements, calvary caller, website) in partnership with ministry team members
Assist Senior Pastor in the overall programming of the church, aid in special projects, and other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Pastor
• Demonstrate good judgement and the ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters
• Ability to communicate clearly with diverse groups of people, displaying sensitivity, patience, awareness, and a caring attitude
• Provide nurture and counsel for members and supporters to enhance their faith
• Demonstrate spiritual maturity, a life of prayer and be theologically grounded in scripture
• Display a genuine effort to cooperate and work well with others
• Willingness to be ordained in the ELCA or have ordination transferred to the ELCA
• Demonstrate an attention to detail and display the ability to organize multiple projects simultaneously and effectively
• Show an openness and willingness to learn and add new skills
• Willing to respect and work with colleagues despite disagreements or differing of opinions
• Minimum of 5 years of ministry experience, working in a church or religious institution
• Education: Preferred Master of Divinity degree or master’s level theological/music degree from an accredited institution
• Have a personal call to the ministry of worship and music
• Possess formal musical/vocal/worship arts or related field education and training
• Some knowledge of the Christian liturgical seasons
• Possess excellent vocal and singing abilities
• Proficient in reading and creating music, choral charts, lead sheets and chord charts
• Be proficient in playing the piano or guitar
• Conduct the adult choir with the ability to choose choral pieces
• Be proficient in organizational skills including calendar management
• Oversee and equip volunteers/staff in the Worship Arts Ministry, including those with vocal, instrumental, choral, stage design, audio/visual and technical skills
• Spiritually invest in the volunteer and staff members of the Worship Arts Ministry
• Ability to vocally lead hymns and worship songs
• Proficient with technology, social media, computer, email and apple/mac/microsoft products
• Willing to learn about Lutheran theological and liturgical aspects
CBTS is looking for a creative spiritual self-starter and who is a down to earth team player, who is living in the moment, willing to step in and support the mission of the CBTS. Going beyond one’s ministry focus by lending a hand wherever needed. Able to handle conflict in a healthy manner. This individual needs to have church ministry experience, be theologically open and evolving, willing to welcome the LGBTQIA+ community into congregational life, prioritize families and young people and include ecumenical friends across various denominational and religious traditions. Willing to be an agent of cultural renewal, to diversify our worship arts program, while acknowledging the local Hawaiian cultural context.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary based on experience, education, and qualifications, paid medical and dental insurance, generous vacation package, state holidays and flexible work schedule. This position is a full-time salaried position and assistance with moving costs may be considered. Certain duties and hours will vary on a seasonal basis throughout the year.
This position will report directly to the Senior Pastor.
All interviewed candidates will be subject to a thorough background check. References required.
How to apply?
1. Email an introduction letter sharing, why you feel called to this position?
2. Email video links of recent worship services/worship leading/choral conducting
3. Email us your resume
Send all information to:
The Rev. Dr. Moses D. Barrios, Senior Pastor Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church [email protected]
Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church
5339 Kalaniana'ole Hwy
Honolulu, Hawaii 96821