About the job
Mission of the United Methodist Church:
“To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
Vision of the California-Pacific Annual Conference:
“Inspiring the world as passionate followers of Jesus Christ so all may experience God’s life-giving love.”
Position purpose and Overview
Monitors and facilitates activities in the front desk and lobby area of the Conference Center. Handles all incoming telephone calls and provides guidance and direction to visitors. Processes incoming and outgoing mail. Provides support to the functions of the Treasurer’s Office.
Supervised by: Accounting Manager
Supervision responsibility for: n/a
Evaluation based on:
Skills and competencies that include those relating to job knowledge, communication, initiative, interpersonal skills, quality and teamwork.
Teamwork and decision-making habits consistent with Conference core values and expectations.
Progress toward and achievement of goals.
Alignment with the mission of The United Methodist Church and the vision of the California-Pacific Annual Conference.
Level of integrity in the modeling of conference core values.
1. Direct incoming telephone calls; open and close the switchboard in the morning and evening. Retrieve and deliver messages from the overnight voicemail system.
2. Greet and welcome visitors to the Center as soon as they arrive.
3. Maintain safety procedures and monitor building access via the reception desk (monitor logbook, issue visitor badges).
4. Ensure reception area is tidy and presentable, with all necessary stationery and material (i.e., pens, forms, and brochures).
5. Keep track of Lunch Room disposable items such as utensils, paper plates, napkins, etc. Notify Facilities Assistant when items need to be ordered.
6. Provide training and familiarization with procedures for reception desk relief persons as needed.
7. Receive, sort, and distribute all mail received by the Conference Center; post mail for all departments and agencies. Maintain Conference bulk mail permit and maintain the Postage Meter Machine including cleaning or adding fluids to it.
8. Coordinate incoming and outgoing mail including UPS, FedEx, U.S.P.S., and Next Delivery Service. Notify these vendors of our office closures in a timely manner.
9. Prepare invoices, stuff envelopes, and mail payments, apply mailing labels, etc., as requested by the Accounting Department.
10. Tally the total amount of checks received daily on the adding machine. Provide the running tape with date, total checks, total amount initialed per internal control standards established by the Auditors.
11. Generate monthly charges report for copying and postage generated by each machine.
12. Maintain daily sign-in log.
13. Update telephone extension sheet and distribute to Conference Staff as needed.
14. Update calendar and schedule meetings as needed.
15. Direct and provide parking tickets for the parking structure in advance of special events.
16. Maintain and update various reference materials such as office banners, signs, and brochures.
17. Prepare check requests as directed by the Treasurer’s Office.
18. Perform other clerical receptionist duties such as photocopying or emailing as directed by Accounting Manager.
19. Perform filing duties, including coordinating for storage with appropriate staff from Treasurer’s Office.
20. Support various tasks of the Treasurer’s Office.
21. May include other miscellaneous duties as assigned by the Accounting Manager.
The activities and essential functions listed in this job description are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job, and may be subject to changes in the future.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to grasp, handle or feel.
- The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, stand, talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must have a warm and friendly demeanor, both in person and on the phone.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of and ability to use basic math.
- Able to use and maintain equipment: computer, printer, copy machine, 10-key, and postage meter.
- Able to use appropriate communication skills in person, and via phone and e-mail.
- Must be organized and able to prioritize tasks for maximum efficiency.
- Able to operate the switchboard.
- Must be detail oriented and have a strong propensity for accuracy.
- Able to hold confidences and deal appropriately with confidential material.
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise.
- Sensitivity to, and willingness to interact with, persons of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn about The United Methodist Church processes as well as the organization and policies of the California-Pacific Annual.
High school diploma
Minimum one year experience in receptionist or other public contact position, preferably within a non-profit organization. Experience with word processing and basic clerical accounting functions. An understanding of the organizational structure and policy of the United Methodist Church preferred.