Connections Pastor at Bread Church
1711 N Van Ness Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90028
About the job
Bread Connections - The Ethos:
Los Angeles is well-known for being an isolating city. We want bread to be a place people can call home, be known by Jesus and others, find a family, and grow into the people God created them to be. A large proportion of first-time attendees are de- churched or un-churched. Connecting disparate people into the life of the church is core to our growth and health. As John Wimber once put it: ‘People will join a church for a million and one reasons, they’ll stay for one: relationship.’
The Connections Pastor’s role is to connect people to God and others. This includes getting to know newcomers and connecting them to Alpha (our basics course), Super Small Groups, other courses, volunteer opportunities, outreach initiatives and socials. The role also includes sharing in the pastoral care of the church, overseeing Super Small Groups and their volunteer leaders, and training and recruiting the Welcome Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet newcomers and help them connect to the life of the church.
- Cultivate effective pathways for new and old members of the church to connect with others and grow in their faith - eg Alpha, Super Small Groups, other courses, volunteer opportunities, socials, outreach.
- Oversee, train and recruit the Welcome Team Volunteers.
- Recruit and train new Super Small Group Leaders.
- Pastor existing Super Small Group Leaders.
- Oversee the small group life of the church and create effective discipleship resource for these groups to use.
- Share in pastoral care and counseling ministries alongside Lead Pastors.
- Speak occasionally at Sunday Gatherings dependent on gifting and desire.
- Be highly visible welcoming and friendly presence at all public bread gatherings.
- Work alongside lead pastors in identifying and developing people’s gifts and giving opportunities to serve.
General Pastoral Expectations:
- General theological alignment with bread’s vision (by which we mean, you teach and embody grace; that everything in our faith is about who Jesus is, and what he has done; and that you believe in the present-day power and presence of the holy spirit)
- Respond to all staff/volunteer concerns in a timely manner
- Attend weekly bread staff meeting on Tuesday mornings
- Attend other pastoral and staff events.
Minimum Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- A mature Spirit-filled Christian with a strong passion and love for people.
- Outgoing and personable and highly relational - warm and enthusiastic.
- Experience in developing and overseeing effective volunteer teams.
- Pastoral and shepherding gifting essential.
- Self-motivated and effective at motivating leaders and teams.
- Able to develop effective systems and structures to ensure
- connection process work smoothly and successfully.
- Formal theological training a bonus but not essential.
- Speaking gifts and a passion to do so a bonus but not essential.
- Ability to relate to de-churched and un-churched, multi-generational, and diverse congregation a must.
- Commitment to promoting racial diversity and inclusion is extremely important.