About the job
Who We Are:
Big Table is a fast-growing?Christian?non-profit that provides care for the?largest industry in the nation - those working in the restaurant and hospitality industry.?It is a vibrant industry full of gifted, creative, and generous people. It is?also an incredibly tough industry that is the catch basin for the most marginalized in the country: at-risk teens, single parents, minorities, new immigrants, income-insecure seniors,?and ex?felons trying to turn their lives around. Many work inconsistent hours at multiple jobs, and tough night, weekend, and holiday hours push relationships past the breaking point. The stress levels are constantly high and most have no safety net, insurance, or benefits. It is the industry with the highest rates of drug and alcohol abuse in the country.?Now with the COVID-19?crisis, the industry faces entirely new challenges as it seeks to?rebuild.
Our Mission:?Guided by the remarkable example of Jesus,?Big Table exists to see the lives of those working in the restaurant and hospitality industry transformed by building relationships around shared meals and caring for those who are in crisis, transition, or falling through the cracks.?(Acts 2:43-47, Luke 24:30-35, Matthew 25:32)
Big Table is joyfully?committed to care for all who work in the restaurant and hospitality industry without any strings attached. We do so?specifically because of our faith that God created each person for eternity, and each person we engage?with?is of infinite value. We share our Christian faith?and model Christ’s love?as we care and build trust?rather than lead with?this on our website or print materials?because?the perception of Christian faith?in the restaurant and hospitality industry?is uniquely negative and would keep us from engaging the very people we are called to serve.
What We Are Looking For:
Big Table seeks a highly skilled, full-time Care Engagement Coordinator at Big Table’s Seattle location. Counseling and mentoring is gender specific to protect the privacy and sensitivity of those we serve as well as to ensure the safety of our team members. For this position we are seeking either a MALE or a FEMALE Care Engagement Coordinator. BI-LINGUAL (Spanish and English) preferred but not required.
Who You Are:
You are kind and have compassion for hurting people. You thoroughly complete each task assigned to you and are able to seamlessly manage multiple projects at the same time. You are creative and resourceful, able to trouble-shoot under pressure, and can engage constructively in hard situations. You enjoy investing in relationships with the people you serve. You have a generous spirit, enjoy collaboration but are self-motivated, self-directed, and flexible. You enjoy a culture marked by integrity, honesty and support that values thoughtful feedback and inspires ongoing learning and development. You have impeccable attention to detail and can contribute to a positive atmosphere while dealing with challenging people. You laugh easily and are comfortable in a work environment that is continually evolving in a fast-growing organization. CHRISTIAN FAITH is core to your identity, but this faith is marked by deep grace and a delight to care for all regardless of their own interest in faith.
- Foster relationships with care recipients through conversation, prayer, and one on one-time investment; accomplishing the mission of Big Table
- Coordinate care requests with Care Engagement team from daily referrals
- Identify care recipients open to coaching and communicate coaching needs to City Director
- Build and implement the Coaching program: recruit, train, and match Coaches with Care Recipients
- Advise and encourage Coaches, assure Remember entries are complete
- Research care needs and verify details
- Yearly Care Partner celebration and thanks
- Identify and build relationships with key industry partners to facilitate care in their organization and foster Big Table support
- Maintain accurate Remember entries for assigned recipients
- Respectfully document care given to share with those who support Big Table. Examples: taking a photo of a care delivery or saving a thank you text message
- Craft care stories and care campaigns for both written and electronic communication
CARE PARTNER COORDINATION
- Actively invest in current care partners and develop new care partner relationships that furthers Big Table impact
- Research care resources by building partnerships with other non-profits, businesses, and churches to extend the care we can provide
- Yearly Care Partner celebration and thanks
VOLUNTEER COORDINATION AND/OR IT SUPPORT (Depending on skill set)
- Develop volunteer position descriptions.
- Initiate outreach to find volunteers.
- Screen volunteers (interviews, required background checks, etc) and match volunteers to needs.
- Train volunteers.
- Schedule and supervise volunteers.
- Celebrate volunteers
- Provide technical assistance, trouble shooting and general IT support to Big Table team
- Coordinate and execute A/V setup at Industry Dinners and special events
- Engage in special projects as needed
- Provide necessary support to the City Director
CHARACTER, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE OF AN IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Passion for our mission and compassion for people.
- Strong people skills and a track record of working well with a wide range of people.
- A drive to get the details right and strength in handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to be flexible, creative, and work effectively with various people during periods of increased and varied workload.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Respect for and careful adherence to expectations of confidentiality.
- A sense of humor.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint and a willingness to learn new software.
- Willingness to attend meetings and programs outside of normal working hours.
- A delight in great food and the community created around a table.
- College degree with applicable skills ideal.
- Counseling or pastoral experience.
- Fluency in Spanish and English preferred.
- Restaurant and hospitality industry experience desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following REQUIRED documents:
- A current resume.
- A letter describing why you would be successful in this position that highlights relevant experience.
- A brief statement of faith.