About the job
* This is an essential non-profit ministry - you will be required to work in-person with other staff members and some Care Recipients, and travel to Spokane, WA for training *
Who We Are:
Big Table is a fast-growing Christian non-profit that provides care for the largest industry in the nation - those working in the restaurant and hospitality industry. It is a vibrant industry full of gifted, creative, and generous people. It is also an incredibly tough industry that is the catch basin for the most marginalized in the country: at-risk teens, single parents, minorities, new immigrants, income-insecure seniors, and ex-felons trying to turn their lives around. Many work inconsistent hours at multiple jobs, and tough night, weekend, and holiday hours push relationships past the breaking point. The stress levels are constantly high and most have no safety net, insurance, or benefits. It is the industry with the highest rates of drug and alcohol abuse in the country. Now with the COVID-19 crisis, the industry faces entirely new challenges as it seeks to rebuild.
Guided by the remarkable example of Jesus, Big Table exists to see the lives of those working in the restaurant and hospitality industry transformed by building relationships and caring for those who are in crisis, transition, or falling through the cracks.(Acts 2:43-47, Luke 24:30-35, Matthew 25:32)
Big Table is joyfully committed to care for all who work in the restaurant and hospitality industry without any strings attached. We do so specifically because of our faith that God created each person for eternity, and each person we engage with is of infinite value. We share our Christian faith and model Christ’s love as we care and build trust rather than lead with this on our website or print materials because the perception of Christian faith in the restaurant and hospitality industry is uniquely negative and would keep us from engaging the very people we are called to serve.
What We Are Looking For:
Big Table seeks a highly skilled, BI-LINGUAL (Spanish and English) part-time Care Engagement Coordinator for our South Bay Satellite location. Counseling and mentoring is gender specific to protect the privacy and sensitivity of those we serve as well as to ensure the safety of our team members. For this position, we are seeking a FEMALE Care Engagement Coordinator. This position is key to growing Big Table’s South San Diego Team and developing focused relationships with restaurants, hotels, and care partners, while clearly communicating Big Table’s Mission and Care Model.
Who You Are:
CHRISTIAN FAITH is core to your identity, but this faith is marked by deep grace and a delight to care for all regardless of their own interest in faith. You are kind and have compassion for hurting people. You thoroughly complete each task assigned to you and are able to seamlessly manage multiple projects at the same time. You are creative and resourceful, able to trouble-shoot under pressure, and can engage constructively in hard situations. You enjoy investing in relationships with the people you serve. You have a generous spirit, enjoy collaboration but are self-motivated, self-directed and flexible. You enjoy a culture marked by integrity, honesty and support that values thoughtful feedback and inspires ongoing learning and development. You have impeccable attention to detail and can contribute to a positive atmosphere while dealing with challenging people. You laugh easily and are comfortable in a work environment that is continually evolving in a fast-growing organization.
- Foster relationships with care recipients through conversation, prayer, and one on one-time investment; accomplishing the mission of Big Table
- Coordinate care requests with Care Engagement team from daily referrals
- Collaborate with other Care Coordinators to offer direction and encouragement towards unique care situation
- Identify care recipients open to coaching and communicate coaching needs to City Director
- Research care needs and verify details
- Identify and build relationships with key industry partners to facilitate care in their organization and foster Big Table support
- Maintain accurate software entries for assigned recipients
- Respectfully document care given to share with those who support Big Table. Examples: taking a photo of a care delivery or saving a thank you text message
Craft care stories and care campaigns for both written and electronic communication
CARE PARTNER COORDINATION
- Actively invest in current care partners and develop new care partner relationships that furthers Big Table impact
- Research care resources by building partnerships with other non-profits, businesses, and churches to extend the care we can provide
- Yearly Care Partner celebration and thanks
- Engage in special projects as needed
- Event involvement
- Provide necessary support to the City Director
- Weekly Team meetings at our Pacific Beach office
CHARACTER, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE OF AN IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Passion for our mission and compassion for people.
- Fluency in Spanish and English required.
- Strong people skills and a track record of working well with a wide range of people.
- A drive to get the details right and strength in handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to be flexible, creative, and work effectively with various people during periods of increased and varied workload.
- Event Team experience.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Respect for and careful adherence to expectations of confidentiality.
- A sense of humor.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint and a willingness to learn new software.
- Willingness to attend meetings and programs outside of normal working hours.
- A delight in great food and the community created around a table.
- College degree with applicable skills ideal.
- Counseling or pastoral experience.
- Restaurant and hospitality industry experience desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following REQUIRED documents:
- A current resume.
- A letter describing why you would be successful in this position that highlights relevant experience.
- A brief statement of faith.
Job Type: Part time, 25 hours/week M, W, F 8am-4pm.
Salary: $28,000-$30,000/year DOE