About the job
Bel Air Church is seeking a full-time Student Ministries Director (Jr. & Sr. High School Students) to provide vision, leadership, administration, management and relational excellence to this vital and growing ministry at Bel Air Church.
Our goal with the student demographic is to provide not just solid, biblically-based teaching about Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and the significance of practicing a life of discipleship, but also to relationally walk out the love of God with each and every student. Those hovering at the margins need to be seen ad met where they are. Those at the center need to be affirmed in their boldness and confidence. All should be invited to direct their gifts and experience toward Jesus and His call upon their lives. We are looking for a dynamic person who can shape an environment of fun, easy hang-outs, safety to be vulnerable, and maturing spirituality amongst our students.
We are looking for someone who not only gets to know our students but also gets to know their parents, building availability, camaraderie, and trust with these families. We are looking for someone who invests in recruiting, training, and celebrating volunteers who are the backbone of this ministry.
We need a team-oriented person who works with others on church staff to achieve over-arching strategic initiatives we undertake together through our various ministry areas. We are looking for someone with experience in overseeing a budget and responsibly stewarding all resources. This person should also have experience in directing both staff and volunteers, mediating any strained relationships, and team building. A self-starter with organizational skills, a willingness to learn and use new systems, and an excitement to be “all-in” supporting the mission of Bel Air Church will serve our Director well.
To learn more about our mission and our Student Ministry, please visit us at www.belair.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create/ deliver content (including sermons) for high school and middle school ministries (physical and digital environments)
- Designs/ builds a HIGH impact set of experiences for these age groups who respond well to such an experiential environment
- Counsels students individually and or meets with students and their families as requested
- Recruits, trains, and nurtures volunteers for student youth groups
Communicates/ informs students and families about student programs and special events
- Plans/ prepares and executes with volunteers and staff Sunday and mid-week programs (digital and physical opportunities to be in community)
- Plans/ prepares and executes with volunteers and staff special events for Student ministries (i.e. summer camp, mission trips, etc.)
- Resolves/ mediates any problems/ issues with volunteer and/ or staff youth leaders
- Bachelor's Degree in related field required, with advanced related study preferred
- Five years of previous related experience in a youth ministry comparable to BAC; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with high-functioning etiquette habits and ability to foster healthy relationships with youth and families, as well as productive working relationships with diverse personalities at all levels of the organization
- High level of professionalism, with ability to appropriately navigate sensitive and confidential situations
- Strong administrative skills, including but not limited to execution of programs, frequent and effective communication with families and staff, management of and accountability to a departmental budget, appropriate recordkeeping, volunteer screening, and supervision of Student Ministries paid and volunteer staff
- Strong computer literacy, with ability to learn and adapt to new applications and systems; Proficiency in MS Office 365, with an emphasis on Excel, Teams, Outlook, and Word
- Ability to follow through on all daily open items
- Commitment to the overall mission of Bel Air Church
Schedule and Location:
- This is a full-time role, scheduled Sunday - Thursday, including some evenings
- This is primarily an on-campus position during the week with the value of availability to other staff and church leadership
- Participation in and leadership of Offsite camps and mission trips may also be part of this role
- Due to Covid, there may be a need for some flexibility to re-imagine community and activities in a Zoom or other digital environment
Supervisory Duties: The Student Ministries Director supervises a paid department coordinator(s), as well as a team of volunteers
Travel: Some travel will be required (e.g. student camps, mission trips, off-site events, and similar)
- Paid Time Off (Generous Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick, Outreach Service)
- Medical (HMO/EPO)
- Life (Group and Voluntary)
- Short Term Disability (Group and Voluntary)
- Voluntary Long Term Disability
- Preschool tuition discount
- A mission-oriented work environment with opportunities for positive impact through our congregation, and through our local and global ministry partners
Bel Air Church is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability status or age. As a religious organization, BAC is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion. TITLE VII, Section 702-703, v.s. Civil Rights Act of 1984, as amended.
BAC considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ch. XVIII, Article 9, Los Angeles Municipal Code)