Family Ministry Pastor at Atlanta Westside Presbyterian Church
Atlanta, GA 30318
About the job
The Family Ministry Pastor will oversee three critical areas of the church:
- Children’s Ministry: The Director of our Children’s Ministry provides leadership for our ministry to approximately 100 children each Sunday morning as well as leading various other church-wide events involving children.
- Youth Ministry: The Director of our Youth Ministry provides leadership for our ministry to approximately 45 youth through Sunday morning and evening programming as well as youth small group ministry.
- Parents Ministry: Westside currently does not have a staff person who is dedicated to our ministry to the nearly 300 parents of Westside. The Family Ministry Pastor will be tasked with developing and implementing appropriate programming and providing leadership to the team of full-time and part-time employees and volunteers who will participate in our Family Ministry.
- Leadership/Team Building: Westside has been in a season of high growth for the past three years. For that reason, the Family Ministry Pastor must have meaningful experience managing, building and empowering gospel-centered teams that can readily adapt to dynamic and changing conditions.
- Strategic Planning/Execution: The Family Ministry Pastor must have a proven track-record of developing vision, identifying required objectives, and executing these objectives.
- Pastoral/Theological Training: Equipping, shepherding and caring for parents, youth and children is at the heart of the Families Ministry. The Family Ministry Pastor must be able to graciously meet with and minister to families who come from many different contexts and are at varying places in their spiritual journeys without compromising our high view of Scripture and Biblical truth.
- Teaching: While the Family Ministry Pastor will not be called on routinely to preach, he will be expected to be a gifted teacher for the parents, youth and children of Westside. Such teaching may take place in a variety of contexts (i.e., Sunday School, Sunday evening programs, parent seminars, etc.) and will include identifying and/or developing curriculum, recruiting and equipping teachers, and sourcing online content to build up and support parents.
- Communication: The Family Ministry Pastor must be an effective and godly communicator with his team, the Session, and the congregation. In particular, this will include communication to build consensus and broad ownership of the Family Ministry vision, goals and objectives. Additionally, he will be expected to capture, measure and communicate progress through the use of mutually developed and agreed upon metrics.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ordained or immediately ordainable in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
- Strong alignment and embodiment of Westside’s core values and philosophy of ministry
- Personal characteristics consistent with Christian maturity
- Strong pastoral instincts and natural disposition to care for people
- Minimum of seven years’ ministry experience (*would consider other relevant work experience on a case by case basis)
- Proven track record of fruitful engagement in evangelism and discipleship
- Deep personal desire to unite people across divisions of race, class and culture with the power of the Gospel
- Strong organizational skills
- Commitment to help foster a positive team culture among fellow staff members
- Advanced degree in theology (M.A. or MDiv)
- Experience in a diverse church setting (e.g., race, socio-economics, age, etc.)
- Experience in an urban church context