About the job
Position Title: Children, Youth, and Family Director
Reports To: Senior Pastor
This is a full time, salaried position, working with primarily children and youth from birth to 12th grade, and their families. The position requires an active faith life, experience working with children and youth, and excellent critical thinking, organizational, and people skills.
- Coordinate Sunday School: Communicate with teachers and parents; provide curriculum and supplies in a timely, organized fashion, regularly review Sunday School attendance and follow-up with families as needed
- Create programming for One Ascension community (church and school) children
- Help lead weekly chapel services in collaboration with the music teacher, pastors, principal, and worship arts class
- Build relationships with Ascension School and Early Childhood Center families, especially by attending events
- Actively invite School families into the life of the Church.
- Lead children’s message in Sunday morning worship service once per month.
- Coordinate events like Rally Day, Hanging of the Green, movie nights, etc.
- Organize a week of Vacation Bible School each summer: work with a team of volunteers and CYF Pastor to determine the appropriate structure and schedule
- Evaluate the need and coordinate nursery care for worship service and events
- Encourage worship attendance
- Plan and lead weekly Bible study for high schoolers
- Be a primary point of contact for high schoolers; be intentional about building relationships with them, including via 1:1 meetings
- Lead and plan service projects, fun activities, and additional gatherings (breakfast between services, evening homework time, etc.) throughout the year
- Mentor and work with youth to develop youth leadership; build events around areas of interest to the youth
- Collaborate with the pastors in teaching Confirmation (7th-8th grade)
- Plan and lead fundraisers alongside the youth
- Plan and lead 2-4 retreats per year, usually including a week-long summer trip
- Encourage worship attendance and leadership among middle and high school students
- Collaborate with the pastoral team to innovate in CYF ministries
- Communicate in a timely fashion with parents; nurture relationships with families
- Recruit, train, and nurture volunteers
- Attend Tuesday morning staff meetings as well as Sunday morning worship
- Participate in and support milestones for children and youth
Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Active, demonstrated Christian faith, and strong familiarity with the Lutheran faith
- Passion for and experience working with children and youth
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, leadership skills, and open-mindedness
- Strong administrative, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently; team player who will work toward our common goal
- Ability to operate personal computer and software program
The CYF Director will often work in a typical office environment, utilizing a personal computer and normal office equipment to perform the necessary job duties. A significant portion of this person’s time will be spent leading engaging with youth and leading youth ministry events.
Salary: $64,480 with benefits including medical and 6% retirement contributions