Summer Chaplain at Appalachia Service Project
Johnson City TN
About the job
About the Organization
ASP provides one of the most rewarding structured service opportunities in the nation — bringing thousands of volunteers from around the country to rural Central Appalachia to repair homes for low-income families. Appalachia Service Project is a Christian ministry, open to all people, that inspires hope and service through volunteer home repair and replacement in Central Appalachia.
ASP is an equal opportunity employer. No one will be denied employment on the grounds of age, sex, race, national origin, or differing physical or mental ability. Employment decisions will be based solely on qualifications for and ability to perform the duties of the position for which employment is sought.
About the Program
Chaplains travels within the five-state region of West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky in which ASP hosts the summer volunteer program. Chaplains provide evening programming assistance, input on faith-related training sessions, and spiritual consultation and support to summer staff and partners in service. They are a member of our summer support staff, providing out tradition summer staff in the fields with spiritual support. Chaplains also complete miscellaneous administrative duties related to ASP’s spiritual components in coordination with the Ministries Department, summer center staffs, and the Director of Spiritual Programs. Chaplains go to our brothers and sisters in a spirit of Christian love and service.
Key responsibilities for chaplains include:
· Be a compassionate listener and spiritual leader for summer staff members, summer volunteers, and families that ASP serves.
· Consult members of the Ministries Department on faith-related training, and create and conduct some of these training sessions for summer staff.
· Meet with ASP partners—volunteers, families ASP serves, etc., who have requested a meeting with a Chaplain.
· Be available to ASP staff and partners to discuss spiritual issues. This may include coordinating regular phone or email discussions with larger groups of staffers regarding spiritual issues.
· Refer any staff member or volunteer who requires professional help to the Director of Spiritual Programs and the ASP on-call counselors.
· Visit multiple summer centers throughout the week and lead devotions for the staff and (when possible) for the volunteers
· Initiate weekly contact with the Director of Spiritual Programming.
· Submit a post-summer evaluation on the Chaplain position, including data or suggestions for how to improve the spiritual aspects of the summer program.
· Adhere to all policies and procedures of ASP as listed in the employee manual, policy statements, and other documents.
Please note that this position requires a high level of driving. We require all candidates to have a valid driver’s license and driving record acceptable to our insurance company.
The ideal candidate is someone with spiritual maturity and a passion for pursuing a growing and deepening personal faith.
· Desire to work in a Christian environment.
· Responsible work habits including:
o Reporting to work on time and working a full schedule
o Cooperating with fellow employees
o Safe, efficient operation of equipment
o Conservation of equipment, materials, and supplies
· Strong desire to work with others regarding matters of their personal Christian faith, especially as they relate to ASP’s mission.
Flexibility with work hours and days.
Willingness to adhere to ASP’s alcohol policy for employees.
Clear background check.
Experience working with volunteers; leading and working directly with high school and college aged students.
Either graduated or currently attending Seminary or Divinity School.
ASP does not require, as a condition of employment, membership in or profession of a specific denominational theology
Chaplain will receive bi-weekly payment based on the number of staffs they are assigned, over the eleven-week employment cycle. ASP provides all chaplains with housing, food, and access to an ASP vehicle for work use. Chaplains will also receive a stipend for laundry and a weekly allowance for food, drink, candy, etc.
[This may vary based on potential for remote]