About the job
Antioch Baptist Church Director of Finance Job Description
JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Director of Finance
POSITION REPORTS TO: Executive Pastor of Antioch Baptist Church
Antioch Baptist Church of Fairfax Station, VA is seeking an a highly qualified individual to serve as the Director of Finance. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in financial management. The Director of Finance will play a crucial role in overseeing and managing the financial operations of the church, ensuring fiscal responsibility and transparency. This is a full-time position with the expectation that the individual will carry out all duties and responsibilities of the job description for the duration of employment.
The purpose of the Director of Finance is to ensure the effective management and stewardship of financial resources to support the mission and goals of Antioch Baptist Church. The Director of Finance provides strategic financial guidance to church leadership to facilitate transparency and accountability and promote good financial stewardship among the church community. Ultimately, the purpose of this position is to promote financial stability and sustainability to support the church's mission of loving God and loving others.
• A bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or a related field is required.
• A minimum of 7 years of experience in financial management, with a significant understanding of generally accepted accounting and auditing principles. Demonstrated experience in budgeting, financial analysis, and financial reporting is essential.
• Understanding of financial audit process.
Financial Planning and Analysis:
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement financial strategies, analyze financial data, and provide accurate and timely financial reports. Proficiency in financial forecasting, budgeting, and cash flow management is essential.
• The ability to develop and implement financial strategy, plans, and forecasts that align with ABC’s goals and objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to think long-term, anticipate future trends, and participate in strategic planning accordingly.
• Possess strong analytical skills and ability to interpret financial data and insights to support the ABC’s decision-making process.
• Proficient in using financial management and church management software, tools, and systems such as PowerChurch Plus to streamline accounting processes, generate reports, and ensure accurate financial record-keeping.
• Possess strong skills working with spreadsheets and the ability to manipulate and analyze large data sets.
• Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite of applications to include PowerPoint and Excel.
• Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to effectively lead the ABC finance team and collaborate with other church leaders and ministry directors. Served at least 5 years in a leadership role.
• Ability to foster a healthy working environment that allows for collaboration, engagement, and staff development.
• Experience in providing financial guidance and support to church staff, committees, and boards is a plus.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present financial information in a clear and concise manner to both financial and non-financial stakeholders.
• Skilled in making presentations at a senior level to solve complex problems and provide useful and understandable information.
Integrity and Confidentiality:
• Ability to manage sensitive and confidential matters.
• Must be bonded or willing to become bonded, as required by the church.
Commitment to the Church's Mission:
• A passion for serving the church community and contributing to its growth and impact through diligent financial management.
PREFERRED SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
• A master's degree is highly desirable with 10 years of experience and 5 years in a leadership role.
• Strong creative skills to develop new and innovative solutions.
• Must also be a team player, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and be results-oriented.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Experience developing financial models and forecasts.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA), highly preferred.
• One or more of the following financial licenses is desired: Chartered Financial Analyst, Certified Treasury Professional, Financial Risk Manager, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), or Certified Financial Planner (CFP).
Knowledge of Church Financial Practices:
• Understanding of church financial practices, including familiarity with accounting principles specific to churches and nonprofits. Knowledge of fund accounting, internal controls, and compliance with tax regulations related to religious organizations is desirable.
Nonprofit Financial Management:
• Proven experience in managing financial functions within a nonprofit organization. Familiarity with nonprofit accounting standards, grant management, and fund development is preferred.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide leadership and mentorship to the church finance team.
• Responsible for the direct supervision of designated staff members.
• Oversee the onboarding process of new hires to the Finance team and ensure individuals are adequately trained to perform their duties.
• Set performance goals and expectations, monitor progress, and address any performance issues that may arise.
• Provide regular performance feedback and evaluations to Finance team staff members.
• Maintain system of accounting and internal controls within the financial operations of Antioch Baptist Church (ABC).
o Maintain account reconciliations and analysis to serve as entity-level internal controls.
o Continuously monitor the operating effectiveness of lower-level controls, processes, and system operations.
o Maintain regular communication with the leadership team, fostering strong relationships with members, and deliver comprehensive reports to keep them informed of the church’s financial status.
o Provide effective account reconciliations and analytics for timely detection of errors and the correction of those errors.
o Coordinate financial activities with the Finance and Budget Committee, any Appointed Treasurer (if applicable) of Antioch Baptist Church, to ensure that all monies collected are properly recorded in the financial system of ABC.
o Work with the Chair of Trustee Ministry, Chair of the Finance and Budget Committee, and ABC appointed Treasurer (if any) to ensure an adequate system of risk management and overall stewardship of church properties is maintained.
o Prepare for and work hand in hand with the church audit team including remediating audit findings, as needed.
• Coordinate and manage the payroll for church staff, applicable tax deposits and IRS filings.
• Oversee the accounting and finance functions and work to ensure the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of financial statements and reports.
o Oversee the processing of accounts payable and subsequent preparation of checks, to include reconciliation of credit cards transactions.
• Provide various financial reports for church business meetings and as requested by church leadership.
• Manage the annual budgeting process, including forecasting and analysis.
o Ensures processes to forecast and manage Contributions and Other Church Income to match planned expenditures and projected in the approved budget.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Financial policy and guidance
• Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance and best practices working in tandem with Human Resources.
• Provide support/liaison for special projects as needed (i.e., purchasing or selling Church property; acquiring Church approved loans; construction projects, and financial related projects).
• Make sound investment suggestions to increase church investment portfolio; monitor those investments including creating reports for analysis.
• Place a priority on attention to detail, consistency, timeliness, and documentation.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY: Antioch Baptist Church is an equal opportunity employer, committed to strictly following a policy of nondiscrimination in all employment policies and practices, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, compensation, benefits, and training. Our employment policies and practices treat everyone equally. We hire and develop based upon job-related qualifications, merit, and the needs of the church at the time. Antioch does, however, reserve the right to employ persons who have a denominational background and philosophy of ministry like ours and who have a work history and lifestyle that is in the opinion of the Church consistent with the Scriptural principles of the Church.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA) POLICY: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA) Antioch will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Final candidates are subject to a background investigation. The investigation may include criminal record check, driving record; drug testing; employment verification; verification of education; and other checks requested by the hiring authority related to the position.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Successful completion of a criminal background check
Reference Checks – Professional and Personal
Verification of degrees
Pass Child/Youth Protection Certification
Valid Driver’s License
Must be available to work Sundays - required workday.
90 days probationary period
$80,000 - $90,000
Please send resumes to [email protected]. The application process for the Director of Finance will be open until filled.
To apply for this job, please click here https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/3615