About the job
Altadena Community Church
943 E Altadena Dr.
Altadena, CA 91001
Hours/week: Avg. 12 hrs/wk
Altadena Community Church, part of the United Church of Christ (www.ucc.org), located at 943 E. Altadena Drive, seeks a Program Director. Hours are flexible, averaging 12 hours per week, to be agreed on by the candidate and supervising pastor. Work is on-site, following mask protocols. Compensation is $28/hour. The successful candidate will have at least three years of related work experience and will balance skill and initiative with a cooperative spirit for work with other part-time staff and church volunteers.
Serves Altadena Community Church and is responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive Christian Education program. Participates in a leadership role during church services and is a member of the Board of Administration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Working to re-establish a program for children and youth during church service, and an Adult Ed class after church:
- Responsible for coordinating an overall Christian Education program for Altadena Community Church
- Works with the Pastor and newly created CE Ministry Team
- Works with the CE Ministry Team to select and evaluate curriculum to be utilized in the church’s education program
- Coordinates with the CE Ministry Team to organize youth activities and discussion groups
- Recruits and trains teachers for the educational programs
- Teaches at all levels, as needed
- Responsible for submitting updates, as requested or scheduled, for the weekly newsletter focusing on the educational activities of the church
- Attends board of Administration meetings
- Coordinates and organizes activities for the children and youth of the church
- Responsible for delivering or facilitating the delivery of the children’s sermon during Sunday worship service when it is scheduled as part of the service
- Incorporates children and youth into worship activities and into the overall life of the church
- Promotes camping opportunities for children and youth at Pilgrim Pines
- Responsible for identifying and incorporating parent(s)/guardian(s) and church members into the children and youth activities
- In association with the Minister provides oversight of the Childcare Supervisor to ensure that nursery care is provided and the nursery is maintained
- Required attendance at staff meetings
- Adheres to the “Church’s Policies and Procedures and Code of Conduct”
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong verbal, written and ministerial skills
- Must have demonstrated mastery of educational programs and methods that are relevant to different age groups
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to people of all ages
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work effectively, independently, and within a team
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Education, Psychology, Religion, or other relevant field of study. Graduate degree preferred
- One (1) or more years of full-time work experience in education, religion, or a related field preferably with children and youth
- Comfortable with Progressive Christianity
Please email email@example.com for a complete job description.
Resumes accepted until February 28, 2022.
We are returning to hybrid worship on February 13. Only vaccinated/boosted people can be in worship and on staff. Use of N95 masks strongly suggested. At this point, staff is still wearing masks in office spaces. There are normally only two people per day in the office.